Home Theatre PC- Don't Want To Make The Wrong Choice

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by zackevin, Jan 7, 2011.

1. zackevin

zackevin Auditioning

I ditched cable a month ago and bought a Sony Netbox for the living room. It has served it's purpose but I want to move it upstairs to the bedroom and replace it with a much stronger HTPC or media PC. But I don't want to make the wrong choice and end up with something that I can't use or don't know how to manipulate.

How it will be used:
    1. Streaming Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, NBC, YouTube, etc.
    2. Play DVDs- we don't own any Blu-Ray but a Blu-Ray player would be nice. Not a deal breaker.
    3. Connect to our Vizio HDTV, 1080p via HDMI.
    4. Connect to our Sony Surround Sound system.
    5. Surf the web.
    6. We may be adding a home server so it would be nice to connect to that and play movies from it.
    7. Wireless

How it will NOT be used:
    1. Gaming
    2. Store videos, pictures, etc.

If we can, we would like it to stay under $500.

I know that I could build something much stronger for this price range but I have no computer building experience and would hate to get stuck halfway through and not know how to get out. So, it would have to be a pre-built system. I have looked at the Dell Zino, eMachine, Revo, and many more. Should I just do a tower or one of these nettops, HTPC, media PC, etc. I am just not sure what kind of specs to be looking for. So if you have advice on what requirements to look for or a system that would be great, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

2. dmiller68

dmiller68 Supporting Actor

David Miller
  3. zackevin

zackevin Auditioning

Thanks for the response. Much of this is new to me so sadly, I see a Dell Zino or Revo for example as a starting point and many of them start around 299, 399.

What would you raise the budget to in order to get a quality machine? What would you say is a worthy product?

Thanks again!

4. dmiller68

dmiller68 Supporting Actor

David Miller
    The Dell one would be a option although I think your looking at $499 if you want wireless. If you want Bluray and a little more:

HP s5610t series

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E5500 [2.8GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB] Memory 4GB DDR3-800MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] Hard drive 320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive Office software No additional office software Security software No additional security software Graphics card 512MB ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter] Speakers No speakers Primary optical drive Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner Networking Wireless-N LAN card Front Productivity Ports 6-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio ports TV & entertainment experience TV tuner, ATSC-NTSC with PVR, remote Sound Card Integrated sound Keyboard and Mouse HP wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse

This would run $730

I would also look at the Sony I think it should do everything you want in a pretty compact form factor. You could look at something like the PS3 mated with an Apple TV.