What's new

Home Theatre In A Box (1 Viewer)

ElvisLives

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Ok, so I know that HTIB isn't great, but my Dad's Dvd player broke and he's on a *serious* budget right now. He isn't going to know good from bad when it comes to a surround sound kit, but then again I don't want to reccommend something that sounds tinny and really bad, and so i've narrowed it down to 2. All i really want to know is whether these sets will be tinny because they are 850 watts rms, and not that expensive. Because I know 850 sounds great, but if it's tinny that's no good.
If you think a lesser wattage will be better, or if you think this will do the job (remember, he's going to happy if when we play a dvd he can hear explosions and bullets coming from the rear speakers with a bit of bass) could you please give me your advice.

here are the players:

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/483_317047.html

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/483_323888.html

You can scroll down to see the specs,
Thanks a lot.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
First off, it's hard to say if either of them will be tinny, because that's a function of quality and your (your father's) preference. You should really listen to it; though I realize when you buy these you usually don't have the option to play it first. (But check the refund policy.)

The size of that room is fairly large. Given your claim that your father would be happy hearing the explosions, I think you're on the edge. (The bullets will be fine.) If the room is "soft" with carpeting and heavy curtains and such that will make it less suitable. My guess is you'll probably be content for a while and then want to upgrade.

For about $600-700 us you could get a little more clean umph closer to the size of your room. I have $450 Polks (powered s/w) and a $250 receiver. I'm happy in a room about the same size as yours (21 x 14); but I don't blow anyone away with the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks