What's new

Home Theatre Calibration and Setup disks worth it? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I have no idea what im doing when it comes to hooking up my new equipment. Im guessing it will be pretty self explanitory and I should be able to figure it out. But is there any reason why I would need a calibration disk?

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I just calibrated mine the "correct way" last night and....WOW, what a difference!:D

Jim Williams

Second Unit
It certainly is worth it. As I stated in this thread, not having a properly calibrated speakers can adversely effect the way your system sounds. A well calibrated system can make all of the difference in the world.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Calibration is a necessary thing, but that does not mean you cannot do it without a disc, as you can do SPL calibration with the receiver's test tones. However, there are a number of other things that are included on the better discs that are of benefit besides just audio calibration.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I think the video calibration is THE MOST important thing to do. I don't care how crappy a TV you *THINK* you have, calibration will make it look worlds better. I've helped a friend with a really bad old 27in RCA TV, and it looked stunning after I was done, and it only took like 5 minutes. ABSOLUTELY necessary. The audio is quite important too, if you have a good surround setup.

DonG

Auditioning
Anyone in Vancouver want to lend me an SPL meter and calibration disc? I'm quite keen on calibrating my system but don't want to fork out $80+ for an SPL meter.

Don

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Anyone in Vancouver want to lend me an SPL meter and calibration disc? I'm quite keen on calibrating my system but don't want to fork out $80+ for an SPL meter.
Every person I know that has said that and bought it anyway has kicked themselves afterward for not doing it sooner. Many who said "I do it by ear and it sounds great to me" has had a rude awakening after doing it properly. My SPL meter is the best thing I have bought for my theater, better than any $300 interconnect, $10/foot speaker wire, $1000 line conditioners, genuine cocobolo wood isolators or green magic marker could ever affect my sound.

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
What's the best disk on the market right now. In your opinion. I bought a disk from Hi Fi Buys about 4 years ago. I'm just woundering if its outdated. There had to have been some inprovements in 4 yearshaven't there?

~C.C.~

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Yeah what is a good disk to get. Someone at work told me he could help me do it. I know he has been selling the stuff for a long time. But I dont think I entirly trust him. So whats a good disk to get. Will any SPL meter work fine? Ill have to convince the guys in my car audio install bay to fix the one we have and let me borrow it. Its about $3000! :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Avia or the less expensive Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up (both from Ovation) or Digital Video Essentials.

Dan*L

Grip
Get the Radio Shack Analog SPL meter (Cat no. 33-2050) for $34.99 plus tax if you can find one because they were discontinued. I brought one last week and calibrated my surround system and believe you me it made a huge difference.

Note: if you are going to radio shack be sure to give them the Cat no. 33-2050 because their computer system would only pull up the Digital SPL meter when they search for sound meter since the Analog Meter was discontinued. I had to make the sales clerk go into the back and found one.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
I was one of those who did the sound balance/calibration by ear. Overall, I was content with the sound. In the end, I decided to get a Radio Shack digital SPL meter. Following the recommendation of the manual, I set the levels at 75 db using SLOW response at C-weighing. This was done using my pre-amp's test tones emitted at each speaker. I pointed the SPL meter up and away from me. After all is said and done, I can say there is a marked difference between what it was before and how it is now. Soundstaging from front to side to back is smoother and wider. Yes, I did have buyers remorse considering how much I paid for it but it was definitely worth it. Hope this helps. I still have to do the video calibration...

Cagri

Second Unit
Get the SPL meter and use your receiver's test tones and a THX optimizer for video calibration if you aren't anal.

If you are, then get AVIA.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
just remember after you calibrate your video display...........your picture may look duller for a few days.

I calibrated mine about 3 weeks ago with AVIA.......i had all my settings at about 50% and now most of them are below that.....my contrast is down to about 15%

i tried to set all my settings back to 50% but the picture was too bright and colorful and it hurt my eyes.

But after calibrating with AVIA and setting all my settings low, the picture looks nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks