What's new

Home Theatre BluRay Upgrade Question (1 Viewer)

Rockefella

Auditioning
Real Name
Damian
New to the forum, hope this is in the right section

So this is my problem, or maybe lack-there-of but I figured I'd ask anyway. In my (tiny) bedroom I have a Pioneer 1080P upconverting DVD player with 5.1 surround and speakers, coupled to a 42'' Philips 1080P LCD. I was considering making the move to a new bluray player but was wondering if doing so would put my surround sound out of contention -- the speakers are of the Home Theatre in a Box type where it's wired through plastic jacks (a la telephone in-wall connections) that run into the back of the DVD player. What I was thinking was, if possible, to connect these 3 devices, using the bluray player as my media player and running it through the Pioneer DVD/surround sound unit as a receiver using an optical audio cable. By doing so I can watch bluray quality movies on my tv while holding onto 5.1 sound, if you guys understand what I'm trying to get at here.

What I posted above may be off since I'm merely brainstorming and working off of assumptions in audio tech but it'd be much appreciated if someone can guide me in the right direction. Also, upgrading the speakers is out of the question seeing as my room is approx. 14'x16' so spending 500+ on a respectable 5/7.1 system would be ludicrous for the situation

Best,
Damian

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That should work . . . as long as you do have that optical input on your current HTiB.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Your post was confusing there for a second because you were referring to your "DVD player", and what I think you meant is you have a HMiB that includes a DVD player. The HTiB is more appropriately considered an amplifier than a DVD player. I'm not trying to be nitpicky, it's just that using the better terminology will allow you to get better help. (More specifically, you can't connect other equipment, say a Bluray player, through another DVD player and have it process anything.)

To your question though, it will work if you have either an optical or a coax digital on your HTiB/amplifier.

Rockefella

Auditioning
Real Name
Damian
Sorry for any confusion, the unit I have (HTiB) is linked here (only a pic -- Pioneer HTZ575DV) To answer the question, yes I was referring to the DVD player that came included in the HTiB kit. As far as cables go I have audio RCA, HDMI's, optical audio, and auxilliary, but I suppose optical is the way to go

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yeah, you're good. You'll want the optical cable for 5.1 sound. You can use your RCAs for now (line-in 2), you'll just get stereo instead of 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.