What's new

Home theatre/Bar.. TV or Projector? (1 Viewer)

rwingace

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I was hoping to get some feedback on what would be best for my needs. First, let me describe the room alittle bit. It's a 20' x 19' walkout basement with a sliding glass door and a window on the same wall. I want to build a bar in the back of the room and have a screen/TV in the front. Now, this isn't going to be a "dedicated" theatre so I'm assuming for the most part there will be ambient light. I'm trying to decide between the 80" Sharp LCD (~$5000) or a projector with a screen ~96-100". I like the size of the projector but I'm worried about the ambient lighting in the room. I am also concerned since it will be a multipurpose room there will be through traffic and people may be walking infront of the projector image (think rock band/wii). So, if you were in my situation what would you choose 80" TV or the projector? And if you have any other thoughts let me know. Thanks!!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If there is ambient light, you'd be better off with a TV, although the 80" Sharp may not be the wisest choice.

rwingace

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for the feedback. As you could probably tell from my post, I was already thinking the TV was the better/proper option. Todd, is there any reason why you think the Sharp 80" isn't the wisest choice?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I always worry about new models coming out, as far as reliabilty and quality. I would wait for some reviews on the Sharp TV before buying it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
With a nice, large room like that, I would do my best to make a projector work. Curtains on the window and patio door is all you need. The room just needs to be "reasonably dark" for the projector to look good. As far as lights, recessed ceiling can lights on dimmer switches are best(so the light doesn't shine on the screen). I would never spend $5,000 for a TV. A car yes, but not a TV.

rwingace

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah, what you're saying does make sense. I still have time to mull over the pros and cons, I just bought the house and actually don't officially move in until next week. I'll play around with lighting / window treatments before I decide. The wife will probably win out though, she wants more of a hangout/bar feel than a "theatre" so most likely she will want a brighter area rather than a dark basement. Problem is that we will use it for many purposes (TV, sports, video games, movies) so the solution has to work in all cases. I also worry with 8' ceilings that people may walk infront of the projector throw with motion video games. Either way it mostly like won't be until spring since we have other items to update in the house first. I might consider the TV if it gets decent reviews and drops to around $4k or lower around superbowl time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks