What's new

Home Theater Tuners with out Amp (1 Viewer)

gc1988

Auditioning
Real Name
Giancarlo
Hi, new to the site got a question, tried searching for it but doesn’t seem to be on here.

I am a sound engineer, when it comes to large rigs and concerts I am in heaven. Thing is when it comes to home theater I am a little at a loss.

The pre-packaged home theater in a box or the available speakers for the medium do it yourselfer in my opinion are all shit! I want high quality, crisp mid range, a speaker able to deliver 5way sound and touch frequencies that only a dog could hear. In other words the quality i am use to when doing a concert setup worth 5 million in equipment.

So very simple question I am looking for a tuner that can provide the video processing I need with HDMI in, optical audio in for blu-ray and such but doesn't have an amp inside to provide power to the speakers that’s where I come in.

Any suggestions are welcome, and no smart a$$** if you have an inferiority complex take it up with your therapist.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You are looking for a Pre-Pro.

Do you have a budget?

Cause you could get the AVM 50, or the Integra DHC 40.3.

There is also the Emotiva and Outlaw "$600-ish" out there.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Giancarlo :)

Sam made some great suggestions. I would also consider older Marantz gear, nothing says you must use the internal amps and their older AVRs still make excellent pre/pros.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Giancarlo,

What kind of budget is involved?

Preamp/processors (which don't include amps) tend to be more expensive than the equivalent receivers (which do include amps). This apparent contradiction is strictly because of the economies of scale in manufacturing. Far more receivers are made than pre/pros. The receiver models which have equivalent pre/pros also include preamp output connections so that their internal amps can be bypassed. They also tend to cost close to $1000 or more (a lot more!) if you buy a current model new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks