Home Theater Speakers on a Budget

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by dwirish5, Jul 9, 2009.

1. dwirish5

dwirish5 Auditioning

Hi Everyone,

New to the forums. I am in the market for some home theater speakers. I currently have the Sony Bravia HTIB hooked up to my Mitsubishi 60737 (Beast) and Onkyo SR 507 Receiver. Pretty weak. I am on a budget, so I want to keep it around $500-600. The room is 15x18. I'd like to get a 5.1 system with Floorstanding fronts. I've looked at the Premier Acoustics/Fluance models, and people seem to be pretty hesitant about them on other forums. Anyone have any recommendations for a nice speaker system/component speakers that would make for a solid home theater system given the TV and Receiver? Opinions on Fluance / Premier Acoustics? Polk? Other lesser known brands that give you solid perfomance without the price tag would be preferable. I thought I'd leave this up to the people who are more savvy.

Thanks for all your help. Look forward to hearing your responses.

Current Setup:

60" Mitsubishi DLP WD-60737 120 hz 1080p
    Onkyo SR-507 5.1 HDMI Receiver
    Playstation 3 80GB
    Sony Bravia HTIB 5.1 (Boo)

2. MaxL

MaxL Supporting Actor

energy stuff from audioadvisor.com or a dayton sub and bic speakers from parts express jump to mind for 5.1 in that budget. if i really wanted to piece together something better i'd go for the psbc1 deal and get three of them for $99 each for the fronts and then pick up the dayton 12" sub and a pair of surrounds from part express and get my sub cable and speakr wire while i'm there.

3. dwirish5

dwirish5 Auditioning

What's your opinion on Jamo's? I've read that they're pretty good. Submit

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Ethan:

You can get some solid deals on Polk speakers at places like Fry's com. For example, here are some nice towers for just $50 apiece. I purchased two Polk towers (R 30s) for my fronts, two Polk bookshelf speakers (R 15s) for my two rears and a Polk cSi 125 for my center speaker for my HT-on-a-budget. I'm very happy with them.

While I'm sure there are better sounding systems out there (many of them), I am thrilled with the quality the Polks afford me at that pricepoint. Give 'em a listen if you get the chance at a local store.

You can't beat the deals on these speakers at Fry's.

5. prtuek

prtuek Auditioning

I think this is good for u BRAVIA DAV-HDX285 5.1-Channel Theater System
    The perfect choice for first time buyer home theater system 5.1-channel surround sound experience, or a high value solution for half of home theater system at home. It is a combination of 5-disc DVD / CD, 1000 watts home theater system, and an included iPod dock to enjoy your music. With the optional S-AIR receiver / speakers, you can easily listen to your music wirelessly in another room of your home. Using exclusive Sony S-AIR technology