What's new

Home Theater Setup help needed (1 Viewer)

Lappies

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
Hi, I have trouble setting up my home theater correctly. Can anyone please help..?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Welcome to the Forum!

What problems are you having with your HT system? What exactly isn't working?

Lappies

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
I have the following equipment:
Philips UHDTV
Yamaha SRT1500 Soundbase
Roku 4
Digital Cable TV box
I am not experienced in this Home Theater field so please bear with me.
This is how I connected the lot...
Roku is connected to the Yamaha Soundbase via HDMI. The Roku is set to display of 4K content.
The Soundbase HDMI ports are compatible with HDCP2.2
The Soundbase HDMI out is connected to the Philips UHDTV via HDMI cable to the Philips HDMI (1) port which is compatible with HDCP2.2
The Digital Cable TV box is connected via HDMI to the Philips UHDTV via HDMI (2) on the TV which is not HDCP2.2
I have an optical sound cable connected from the Digital Cable TV box to the Soundbase optical port for sound when watching TV channels.
Is this setup correct...?
I noticed the Roku display can also be set to 4K 10Bit...but if I select this display type then I get an error on the Philips TV "This content can not be viewed on your TV. Please connect the TV which corresponds to HDCP2.2 with HDMI Out of this unit"
I also noticed that since I selected 4K display mode on the Roku, the TV display are not as smooth (although very clear) and seems to have tiny ripples during camera movement.
Please help where you can as I am so frustrated.
Your assistance and guidance is appreciated.
Just as a last note...I have ordered a Kinivo K300 Premium 3-Port High Speed 4K HDMI Switch to plug everything into this unit and the one HDMI output to the Philips UHDTV's HDMI port which supports HDCP2.2
Not sure if any of this makes sense to you...

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
So first off I have to say you should have got gotten an AVR and speakers vs a soundbar/base and an HDMI switch. After all that's the function of an AVR..to switch your sources and make life easier. I'm not trying to be negative just some enlightenment. Now that that's done lets see if we can make some improvements to your setup.

Ok here is what I would do.
  1. Unplug everything. Yep that's right.
  2. Plug your Roku into the HDCP 2.2 HDMI port on your TV.
  3. Plug the cable box into another HDMI port on the TV.
  4. Run an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar/base.
  5. Fire it up and see what happens. You should now be able to change the source on your TV and the sound will come through the Yamaha. PIcture should be better because you're not bouncing through the Yamaha. That's the theory at least. Try it and let me know.
  6. Return the HDMI switch/splitter and get some money back as you no longer need it.
  7. Consider adding in a sub to the setup as the Yamaha has a sub output on it.

Lappies

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
Thank you ArmSC. If only I found you earlier :(
I will do so and see what happens.
Many thanks...will let you know the outcome.

Lappies

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
Apologies...one more question...
I can get a AVR Yamaha rx-v863 from a friend with 5 speakers.
It has 4xHDMI in and one HDMI out ports.
Unfortunately the HDMI ports do not support HDCP2.2
Can i make something of this with the HDMI 4K switch...?

Lappies

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
I suppose there is no way to hookup everything (TV, ROKU, CABLE BOX, AVR, SPEAKERS & SOUNDBASE)...?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I would try what I suggested and see what the outcome is. That will be the most cost effective solution. If you want to go down the AVR and speaker route I would suggest a new or refurb unit that had HDCP 2.2 in it so that you're fully 4k compatible.

Lappies

Auditioning
Real Name
Louis
Thanks.
I connected the Roku to the UHDTV HDMI 2.2 port and the TV box to another HDMI port of the TV. Both HDMI ports are also labeled ARC.
I also connected an optical cable from the TV to the Yamaha soundbase. Powered on and got picture but no sound from either TV box or Roku.
Not sure what went wrong...?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Did you put the soundbase to optical for the input vs HDMI? Did you turn on the optical output of the TV? Check those and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks