What's new

Home Theater Riser (1 Viewer)

SamCK

Agent
Any comments or suggestions on this project:

8 by 4 foot riser, using 2 by 8's - 16 inch centers -, 1/4 inch plywood on bottom, 3/4 on top, then #15 roofers felt, then another 3/4 inch plywood; then carpet. I'm going to stuff it full of insullation (regular pink stuff).

Was wondering about installing one of the Sub woofer "vibration" units in it. Any comments. Is this structure too sturdy to "shake."

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
There was an article in the "Home Theater Builder" magazine about doing just this. Basically you'd want to build the riser so it is flexible in the middle, yet sturdy enough to support the seat and people load. So using your description above, you'd use 2 by 8s around the rim with 2 by 4s for the interior supports. This way the interior isn't prevented by the floor beneath from shaking. I'd loose the layer of ply on the bottom and start with just one layer of ply on the top. Then place your seats and people on it and fire up the shaker. You can always add more ply to the top to stiffen it up later.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend 2x10's not 8's...I'm in the process of modifying my riser because I didn't make it high enough...you'll want 10-12" of clearance so folks in the back can see over the folks in the front row...unless you don't have a front row then what I'm saying doesn't matter! :D

E

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My riser is 13". I used 2x12's around the perimeter with 2x6's every 12" inside. No plywood on the bottom and 2 3/4" layers on the top. The riser is stuffed with R13 insulation. It vibrates extremely well :)

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks