What's new

Home Theater on a budget (1 Viewer)

lob1

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hi all,

Im building a house and will be putting in some in wall and in ceiling speakers in the living room for a 5.1 setup.

My question is about which brand of speakers to buy. I was thinking of either the Polk RC65i:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC65i-2-Way-Speakers/dp/B00005T3C8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297270874&sr=1-2

Or the Yamaha NS IW470:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-IW470-3-Way-Speaker-System/dp/B000FLNU4M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297270932&sr=1-3

Those would be for my left and right channels. I would get the center and rear (in ceiling) speakers to match depending on which brand I go with.

I have the Denon AVR 591 as well as a Yamaha 12" powered sub.

Obviously, I want good sound at a low price. Which do you think would be better? I'm only thinking about the Yamahas because of the 3 way design, which Polk doesnt have at that price range. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've never heard Yamaha in-wall speakers before but I have heard the Polk in-walls you're looking at and they sounded pretty good for in-walls. Best thing to do of course is to listen to them but that's probably not possible. In that case I'd take the Polks based on my experience with their other speakers. But that's what I'd do. I can't really say what you should do.

Here's a couple of other places to look. Partsexpress.com (Dayton) and Monoprice.com. I haven't heard either one of these but other members here have said they were very good for the price and I've purchased many other things from both of these places.

And I wouldn't put much stock in the 3-way vs. 2-way thing. A good 2-way will still sound better than an average 3-way. And I don't mean to imply the Yamaha's are average. Maybe buy a pair of both and send back the ones you like the least?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks