Home theater NEWB seeks help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jonahgabriel, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jonahgabriel

jonahgabriel Auditioning

Hey guys...I am in the process of buying a new house and I was thinking about getting a new home theater setup for the new place as the new living room is about 3 times the size of my current one and I currently own a fairly cheap HTiB. I was thinking that something with AirPlay would be cool so I can beam music from my computer, but other than that, I want something that sounds good for movies and ok for music...doesn't have to be real high end like these speakers a buddy of mine wants me to get. I am looking to spend maybe $2,000 max on everything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get? Is a HTiB the best option for me? Also, if I want to add multi-room sound at some point, should I go with something like a Sonos system? Thanks in advance!

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Sonos you add to something else. There are plenty of

3. jonahgabriel

jonahgabriel Auditioning

I do have an iPhone, but I would really like to pull content over the network. I just talked to a buddy of mine at work and he told me that I can accomplish the same network connectivity with Apple Airports and my old Mac Book Pro as a media center. What would you suggest for speakers? I guess I would need 2 front speakers, a center channel, 2 side speakers, 2 rear speakers (preferably wireless) and a sub?

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Forget wireless...as it really isn't wireless...and you can't do wireless without 8 channel pre-out(Onkyo NR717/Pioneer 1522/Yamaha RX-A820 etc) Mordaunt Short Carnival(A4L has great deals) BIC DV(on the short side of your budget) Polk TSI, Possibly even RTi. Klipsch RF/B/C Boston Acoustics Classic HTD.com I think the HSU speakers fit the budget. I could type all day.

5. jonahgabriel

jonahgabriel Auditioning

What do you think about: Polk Audio TSi400 3.1 Tower Speaker System Polk Audio TSi200 Bookshelf Speakers (for the rear) Onkyo TX-NR717

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The speaker package is "more" than buying the 4 things separately. Buy the two 400( $525) with the center ($170) for roughly $700. Then pick a much better subwoofer.

7. jonahgabriel

jonahgabriel Auditioning

8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Great if you want tiny satellites where you have to set the crossover at 120-150hz.