What's new

Home Theater Magazine: Should I Renew It? (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
My subscription is up at the end of this year (and I've been getting plenty of the renewal notices) and even though I've been a subscriber for a long time (I have an almost complete set) I've noticed a couple of things:

- The writing has slowly gone downhill since Brent Butterworth left

- Fewer and fewer reviews

- Condescending attitude toward the internet and forums like this (this is a biggie, as I get a majority of my info from the HTF)

- They seem to be focused on HDTV, ignoring other aspects of HT

- Their DVD reviews seem to be geared more toward pleasing the studios than accurately describing the product

Am I being to hard on them, or is it time to say sayanara?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Everybody’s tastes are different, only you can decide for yourself if it is worth the price.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
My subscription runs out soon as well. I will not be renewing as they hardly ever review anything that I can afford.

Prime exmple. I have been in the entry level projector market trying to decide between the Infocus X1 and the Panasonic 200. The last issue cover says for reviews something to the fact of affordable Infocus projector. I open it thinking that maybe they were talking about the X1 or the next level up. Nope, the 10K infocus projector.

Ok whatever, I am just an average joe, and guess they don't make magazines for me anymore.

Brandon

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I let my subscription run out about 1-1/2 years ago. Really liked the magazine, but just didn't have time to keep up with all my subscriptions. Plus, a lot of the theatre equipment was too high end. I enjoyed the writing, though.

From your list there, though, sounds like maybe you wouldn't miss it!

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
I let my subscription to Home Theater magazine lapse over a year ago and haven't missed it. Some people I know still get it for the glossy pictures of new equipment, but I used to read it for the articles. :>)

I was a charter subscriber when they were publishing under a different name (Home Theater Technology). I continued my subscription until their irreverent wit became sarcasm without much leavening humor and their reviews became self-indulgent excursions into seemingly every topic but the equipment at hand.

By the time copies hit the newsstands, their "news" is now way out of date and usually no longer of interest mainly because we now have other more timely sources of information. That includes this site and other Internet sources, including, ironically, the magazine's own web site.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have let every subscription lapse, with the exception of Widescreen Review -- and I keep that mostly for premium access to their website. Information on the internet is far more current, and information at HTF is generally far more reliable. Then again, I'm biased. ;)

M.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I was a charter subscriber when they were publishing under a different name (Home Theater Technology)
Ditto. I still have them in mag racks and I occasionally pull one out just to read about the "latest" laserdisc player.:b

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I think I'll retire my subscription also. I got all the help I need right here on HTF. I also agree with they review stuff out of the average Joe's price range.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm the same as Burke. I started ready after the 3rd or 4th issue and even had a subcription that ended a couple of years ago.

When it ran out, after 25-30 renewal notices and 10-12 VERY lat issues, I figured I'd make it a periodical only.

$8 a month saved and that makes me happy:)

Brent

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I let my Home Theater Mag subscription lapse a couple of years ago as well. I have kept Sound and Vision as they seem a little better and at least have some good reader Q&A most months.

Oh and the quick edit feature kicks butt!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Burke hit it right on the nail. I've even stopped reading the free copies I get. The magazine is like some insiders' frat party, the copy-editing at odds with any professional style book I use, and the line-editing of the reviews and features amateurish. The Perfect Vision is the paragon, and the other end is held up by ...

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I have every issue since it was first published, but I stopped getting over a year and half ago. Have'nt missed it and even when I skim it over at the newstand, there's not much in terms of reviews that I miss.

Now my only problem is what to do with the old issues.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Now my only problem is what to do with the old issues.
Keep them!! I like to dig out my old issues from the mid 90s and read about all the hype of AC-3. Wondering if it was going to catch on....hehe.

I let my subscription go in 1999 and even then noticed changes in the magazine. I was a little lost for a while until I found HTF in late 2000. Today, once in a while, I'll thumb through a copy at the newstand and all I see is the reminder of a once great magazine.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I would, but after moving last year, I still have'nt unpack them and they take up a lot of space, plus I was also collecting Sound & Vision and Audio Video Interiors for awhile, and they too take up space.

I've tried to unload them a the local used book store, but they've told me that there is no market because the technology is too old.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Sounds like we all droped it 2-3 years ago and kept Sound and Vision, and a few others.

Hey, at least Home Theater Magazine looked nice on the coffee table.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I let my HT mag subscription run out about 2 years ago and have been picking up Sound & Vision since they changed from Stereo Review. S&V is more geared toward the overall HT consumer with reviews of software (CDs, DVD-A & SACDs) in addition to hardware. Even Tivo, PS2, X-Box and HTPC get mentioned in S&V. I used to also get Stereophile's Guide To Home Theater but found they were too much like HT mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks