Home Theater Input Needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Perry, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

Hey Everyone!

I am in the process of building a theater in my basement. The dimensions of it are:

25' Long

9.5' Wide

8' Ceilings

I have built out the front wall where the HDTV will be going, on either side of it will be 8' book case style racks with pot lights inside, above the TV will be 2 spereate pot lights as well. These pot lights will be on there own dimmer.

I am now in need of knowing how many more pot lights I should use in the room and where to position them as well as how far back my rear speakers should be and what position I should mount them in??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Matt

2. Matthew Perry

bump bump!!

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I asked a similar question not too long ago about where to position recessed lighting...

The rule of thumb is a light will cover a circular space with the same diameter as the distance to the floor. In your case, lights will project an 8' wide circle on your floor.

As far as positioning the rear speakers.. I'll let the HT-heads debate that one.

4. Matthew Perry

So really I don't need to put 4 pot lights in to adequately light up a 24' area. Is it possible to have 3 staggered around the room? Should I go ahead and pick up 4 of them and just equally mount them in the ceiling?

Thanks a lot

Matt

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

6. Matthew Perry

I just got back from Home Depot, I picked up 4 pot lights with the 50w halogen bulbs. Any comments on this for lighting?