What's new

Home Theater Help! (1 Viewer)

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
Hello everybody. I am new to home theater forums and I would like to say hi to everybody! I am 22 and living on my own in an apartment. I'm hoping I could get some help on a Home Theater I want to set up!
Well let me first start of by stating that I want a 5.1 Surround Sound and on a 600$ budget.
I was looking at HTIB and their are so many of them that its hard to choose from. I did narrow it down to one that I really want which is the Yamaha YHT-597. I picked this mostly because the receiver has AirPlay and because it comes with a MIC that automatically calibrates your speakers.
I could not find any reviews on this system. If anyone knows of a review please let me know!
My other question was how good are these speakers? If these speakers aren't that great I would prefer to buy the receiver alone the Yamaha RX-V473($400) and add some Klipsch HD 500 5.1($200).
What do you guys think? Would you choose something else? Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks alot!

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Abimael,
Welcome to Hometheaterforums!!!
Ok lets dive right in. Im going to start with some questions so that we may better help you.
What sources are you going to be using? (DVR, PS3, Xbox, Blu-ray player...? etc)
What kind of TV and what are it's inputs?
How big is your room?
Do you share a wall with any neighbors?
Will you listen to music out of this same setup?
Where are you? ( not all speakers are available globally)
Ok now for some general advice. Speaker companies make better speakers than electronic companies, in general.
There are two scenarios, one you share a wall or a building with neighbors and the use of that klipsch subwoofer will get you evicted, or you live in a stand alone apt and you can rock as hard and long as you want.
Either way I think you should go with this set:http://www.svsound.com/systems/sbs-02-5 It is a speaker company, and the 6" drivers will provide enough bass for normal viewing while keeping the neighbors at bay. I know it is more than the Klipsch but if you chose to use this Denon Receiver which has 4 HDMI ports and a setup microphone for $200 at http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html that meets your $600 budget and it will far surpass that klipsch or yamaha system.
Ok it will bust your budget after you ship it and buy cables but not by too much. And if you can get a sub later it will be very easy to add it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
^^^^
What he said. I'd pick a receiver from A4L before I'd buy anywhere else, except for maybe NewEgg(in the closeout/open section).
As for speakers...
Even(go to BB.com or Amazon) and check out the BIV DV62. Four of those and the 62CLRS would not need a sub in an apartment. And that speaker set would be $300-$320 depending on the day. Leaving plenty of room for a budget receiver.
By the way, go to a store. I've heard several people say the USB connection on Onkyo sounds better than Airplay does (as it is a direct connection...not DAC then "stream through the air")

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
NickSI said:
Hello Abimael,
Welcome to Hometheaterforums!!!
Ok lets dive right in. Im going to start with some questions so that we may better help you.
What sources are you going to be using? (DVR, PS3, Xbox, Blu-ray player...? etc)
What kind of TV and what are it's inputs?
How big is your room?
Do you share a wall with any neighbors?
Will you listen to music out of this same setup?
Where are you? ( not all speakers are available globally)
Ok now for some general advice. Speaker companies make better speakers than electronic companies, in general.
There are two scenarios, one you share a wall or a building with neighbors and the use of that klipsch subwoofer will get you evicted, or you live in a stand alone apt and you can rock as hard and long as you want.
Either way I think you should go with this set:http://www.svsound.com/systems/sbs-02-5 It is a speaker company, and the 6" drivers will provide enough bass for normal viewing while keeping the neighbors at bay. I know it is more than the Klipsch but if you chose to use this Denon Receiver which has 4 HDMI ports and a setup microphone for $200 at http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html that meets your $600 budget and it will far surpass that klipsch or yamaha system.
Ok it will bust your budget after you ship it and buy cables but not by too much. And if you can get a sub later it will be very easy to add it.
All I have in terms of sources is a PS3 and an Xbox. I use the PS3 to play BluRay movies and watch Netflix.
I currently own a Vizio 47" Inputs are 3 HDMI, Component, AV. Outputs for sound are a Digital Optical and 2-channel RCA plugs.
My room is about 15x 15.
I don't share any walls with my neighbors as of now but i do have someone living upstairs.
Yes, music is a must for me. I'm always listening to music when i'm doing something. Thus, this is why I wanted to get the Yamaha one so I can use AirPlay to listen to my music wirelessly. Wirelessly because i'm always texting on my phone.
Looking at those speakers set you showed me they look really nice. The price range is up there though but I can understand since they are top of the line quality. As for the receiver, I have heard that Denon (aka Boston) have better sound quality than any other ones. I was looking into this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U40598/ref=gno_cart_title_1 , but I wasn't too sure.
I guess I will have to save up money to get those speakers and the receiver. Since I would prefer a new receiver. I have had bad luck 3 times with refurbished items. May not do it again. LOL
But thanks alot for your advice. Is there anything else you would suggest? Maybe a lower price 5.1 setup?

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
schan1269 said:
^^^^
What he said. I'd pick a receiver from A4L before I'd buy anywhere else, except for maybe NewEgg(in the closeout/open section).
As for speakers...
Even(go to BB.com or Amazon) and check out the BIV DV62. Four of those and the 62CLRS would not need a sub in an apartment. And that speaker set would be $300-$320 depending on the day. Leaving plenty of room for a budget receiver.
By the way, go to a store. I've heard several people say the USB connection on Onkyo sounds better than Airplay does (as it is a direct connection...not DAC then "stream through the air")
All I have in terms of sources is a PS3 and an Xbox. I use the PS3 to play BluRay movies and watch Netflix.
I currently own a Vizio 47" Inputs are 3 HDMI, Component, AV. Outputs for sound are a Digital Optical and 2-channel RCA plugs.
My room is about 15x 15.
I don't share any walls with my neighbors as of now but i do have someone living upstairs.
Yes, music is a must for me. I'm always listening to music when i'm doing something. Thus, this is why I wanted to get the Yamaha one so I can use AirPlay to listen to my music wirelessly. Wirelessly because i'm always texting on my phone.
I live in the US. Atlanta, GA to be more specific.
Looking at those speakers set you showed me they look really nice. The price range is up there though but I can understand since they are top of the line quality. As for the receiver, I have heard that Denon (aka Boston) have better sound quality than any other ones. I was looking into this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U40598/ref=gno_cart_title_1 , but I wasn't too sure.
I guess I will have to save up money to get those speakers and the receiver. Since I would prefer a new receiver. I have had bad luck 3 times with refurbished items. May not do it again. LOL
But thanks alot for your advice. Is there anything else you would suggest? Maybe a lower price 5.1 setup?

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I understand your desire for a 5.1 setup but I reiterate that if you have a neighbor in the same building using that subwoofer will get them angry and the landlord/police called. Even at low volumes a Sub can be heard throughout a house. Of course you could simply turn off the sub but, when using a system that is designed as a 5.1 system you have no bass when just using satellites. I would save up a little and spend more money on speakers than a receiver.
Deciding on the receiver is out of my league as it is toooo much to keep up with all the brands and their lines and features. As for which is best... personally to me at this level (sub $500) the sound quality is within 1% of each other. Go for one that you think is good looking, and has the features you want.
Accessories4less I have heard has a GREAT return policy with defective refurb units. I have no personal experiance, maybe someone can share their story or you could search "Accessories4less"

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
NickSI said:
I understand your desire for a 5.1 setup but I reiterate that if you have a neighbor in the same building using that subwoofer will get them angry and the landlord/police called. Even at low volumes a Sub can be heard throughout a house. Of course you could simply turn off the sub but, when using a system that is designed as a 5.1 system you have no bass when just using satellites. I would save up a little and spend more money on speakers than a receiver.
Deciding on the receiver is out of my league as it is toooo much to keep up with all the brands and their lines and features. As for which is best... personally to me at this level (sub $500) the sound quality is within 1% of each other. Go for one that you think is good looking, and has the features you want.
Accessories4less I have heard has a GREAT return policy with defective refurb units. I have no personal experiance, maybe someone can share their story or you could search "Accessories4less"
You know, I was really into that Klipsch. Because it has the sub and everything and I know I can adjust the sub volume to a lower level. But even if this is heard throughout the house, I am a bit worried. Of course I do own a Bose Sound system for the computer with a sub and I do go pretty loud with it sometimes. Only in the day though. I guess the receiver I'm not that worried about as much as the sound quality on the speakers. I'm really stuck on the decision. Go for the Klipsch HD 500 or the SBS 02. I haven't really heard of that company or seen any reviews on them compared to the Klipsch. And the Klipsch right now are $220.
What would you all get?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Last thing I would buy is Klispch. Especially those.
And no, I'm not saying Klipsch makes bad speakers. I'm just saying not to buy anything by Klipsch that doesn't have at least a $1000 price tag. There are TONS of other options out there that will outperform them...again, especially those.
And I misspelled it earlier...
Did you check Amazon for the BIC DV62? Those are $100-ish a pair and are the "same speaker" BIC has made for 30 years(if you count the V62, which were made here, and the DV62, which is what they are called now that BIC left B&M and went 'online only' with 'imported from elsewhere' speakers).

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
schan1269 said:
Last thing I would buy is Klispch. Especially those.
And no, I'm not saying Klipsch makes bad speakers. I'm just saying not to buy anything by Klipsch that doesn't have at least a $1000 price tag. There are TONS of other options out there that will outperform them...again, especially those.
And I misspelled it earlier...
Did you check Amazon for the BIC DV62? Those are $100-ish a pair and are the "same speaker" BIC has made for 30 years(if you count the V62, which were made here, and the DV62, which is what they are called now that BIC left B&M and went 'online only' with 'imported from elsewhere' speakers).
Ok, so no go for Klipsch.
I just looked at them, I couldn't fine them earlier, and they look good. I wonder how the mids and trebles are on these though since it says mostly for Bass. I wish all these speakers had some sort of good review. But I will keep those on my list.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, speaker reviews are "worthless"...
No, not really...but...
You don't hear things like I do. The next guy doesn't hear like either of us.
"Best thing to do"...pick a receiver that has the features you need/want.
Buy a PAIR of speaker by BIC, Polk, Infinity(Primus series) and "anybody else" and try a few sets at home...
If you have a pair of BIC DV62, Infinity P163 and Polk Monitor 30(where from "each company" it is a fair comparison in price and capability) and returned 2 sets...and kept the Infinity...great choice.
Just like if you kept the BIC or the Polk. If you like the Infinity best...that is all that mattered. Then...once you find your "pair"...return the other pairs you didn't want and buy your matching center and surrounds...
By the way...my "current" speakers...
BIC V830(from the 90's) with V820(2 pairs) in a 7.1.
DCM TF600(from the 80's) with TF350(again, the 80's) running a 5.1
Infinity Crescendo 3007(I think) as two pairs running a 5.1(that is also used for SACD/DVD-A)
What have I owned???
Wharfedale
Synergistics
RTR
Optimus (don't laugh, when Radio Shack/Optimus adopted the Linaeum...when no-one else would...there were some magical speakers. The ones that still work...are still magic)
JBL
Magneplanar
MB Quart
Totem
Dahlquist (yes "the famed one"...wish I still had them)
BIC TPR
Apogee (the speaker that ruined me from ever owning ML), wish I still had them... (Apogee was so good that ML is a KMart reality compared to how good Apogee were)

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
NickSI said:
Here is a link to a Pro Review of the SCS (not SBS) set which is the big brother.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/svs-scs-02m-speaker-system
quite a glowing review.
Has me thinking I might upgrade to the SCS 3.0 system...
so i decided to get the SBS-02 from sound expert. I read that review and im pretty surprised about what they said.. im hoping these smaller ones will do the same and wont let me down..
so now the on to the next thing. The receiver. I know you guys said the receiver sound quality its between 1% of each other. And to choose the one that has my features. I found two that have just about the same features yet at the same price as one another. Denon vs Yamaha.
Denon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R8U5QW/ref=gno_cart_title_2
Yamaha
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JF85VU/ref=gno_cart_title_1
both same price both have what i want, AirPlay and Auto setup with Mic.
which one would you guys considered the "Best"?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If all 5/7 of your speakers are going to "match"...YPAO is the better ARC.
But, if you are going with different size speakers...the Denon.
By the way...
The 573(the few places I've seen it) is only $20 more. The 573 includes a much easier to understand OSD.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Since you are new to this I would definitely get one that has a Graphical User Interface (GUI) as it makes the setup process that much easier. I think the Denons look sharper.

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
I think this one will satisfy my needs.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1912/DENON-AVR-1912-7.1ch-Network-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/Airplay/1.html
Yes? No?

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
mccambley said:
I am not sure but I think the 1912 lacks the ability to up convert video signals to HDMI. If you use any thing but HDMI you have to send a second wire to the TV. If you only have HDMI sources you will be fine but WEE will not work with this receiver through HDMI.
Well I only have two sources a PS3 and an Xbox. And both are HDMI. So I think I'm fine with that one. And may I ask what is WEE??

djabi90

Auditioning
Real Name
Abimael Meda
NickSI said:
Lol I thought he meant that..
Ok so one more question.. On m TV I have Cable. It gets hooked up from my wall outlet directly to my tv using a coaxial cable. Now, how do I get surround sound from the TV to the receiver? My tv only has a Digital Optical Out port and a Left and Right RCA output connection. Now I know the RCA Output it's only for stereo or 2.0 channels. Now what about Digital Optical? I have heard in various sites and forums that it CAN and CAN'T deliver up to 7 channels of audio. Now on my TV settings for audio our on Digital Optical it says either PCM or Dobly Digtal.
Does my tv do 5.1 using digital optical? I'm really confused.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The optical digital out on the tv will pass 5.1 dolby digital audio when using the set's own tuner. This is all you'll ever need because there are no broadcast channels doing anything more than 5.1 DD. Some HD channels still don't have 5.1 audio, in which case 2.0 will be output. Set the tv to output Dolby Digital, not PCM. Most receivers will apply Dolby Pro Logic II processing to incoming 2 channel audio, so you'll still get some surround effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks