What's new

Home Theater Forum is Moving. All Members Please Read! (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DavidJ said:
"This new forum is horrible. I don't know how to post. I can't find anything. Bring back the old one!" Figured I'd get it out in advance. ;) Looking forward to the move. Onward and upward (or something).
I'm frustrated already. :):) seriously, it's a good point to raise, there will be some bumps in the road and patience will be required.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sometimes I think the forum changeover was toughest on the "power users" (the ones who use the forum the most). They get set in their ways and become creatures of habit in how they utilize the software to their benefit.
Other times I think it was toughest on those whose stress level rises quickly when anything in their life changes.
Realistically, it was probably a combination of both.
I, for one, hope that I've grown a bit as a person and have a greater ability to accept that things are gonna be different and realize that there's just no need to sweat it. It'll all come to be familiar to me again over time.
"Patience, grasshopper."

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm glad to see this happen for all the owners and mods to have a more friendly way to work with the site. My only concern is, will the threads we've subscribed to carry over? I've become totally reliant on that feature...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was going to say members of this hobby seem especially sensitive to change, but I'm reminded of all the complaints that spring up when Facebook changes something and I have to say it's pretty much human nature. It's also human nature to adapt, but strangely those two qualities never seem to remember each other.
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Sometimes I think the forum changeover was toughest on the "power users" (the ones who use the forum the most). They get set in their ways and become creatures of habit in how they utilize the software to their benefit.
Other times I think it was toughest on those whose stress level rises quickly when anything in their life changes.
Realistically, it was probably a combination of both.
I, for one, hope that I've grown a bit as a person and have a greater ability to accept that things are gonna be different and realize that there's just no need to sweat it. It'll all come to be familiar to me again over time.
"Patience, grasshopper."

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Looking forward to the new site. Hope everything goes smoothly for you during the move. As for change, I do not mind it much unless it is a change that is so different it no longer makes sense, like Huddler's lame ass attempt to re-invent the forum. Now here we are several years later and it seems that all the grand design plans have been reverted back to a traditional type forum. It is a paradigm that works. Let new media try new things - don't upset the folks that keep the place going.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein
I'm glad to see this happen for all the owners and mods to have a more friendly way to work with the site. My only concern is, will the threads we've subscribed to carry over? I've become totally reliant on that feature...
Threads should. If you are subscribed to a product or tag, those are currently not supported so those won't carry over for now.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sorry, but I don't help anyone move anymore :). Wasted too many of my Saturdays and I always ended up doing all the work while everyone else sat around watching the game on tv and eating pizza :yum: and drinkin' beer :P and :chatter: the day away. But you're welcome to borrow my truck if you want. Just put a little gas in it before you bring it back :D . In all seriousness, we're always a little worried about change. But hopefully it's for the better this time. Best wishes.

silverbullet

Auditioning
Real Name
Don McKelvay
Just joined today and I am sure will have a big learning curve and then start all over when the new HTF is up - but hey, I am sure the new one will be even better. Although I usually only buy blu rays recently bought a Pioneer CLD-S201 laserdisc player and am having terrible trouble getting it to work correctly - and yes I read the manual. Maybe the old technology is harder than the new. If anyone would like to help me please send me a PM. Looking forward to learning and conversing a little.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Don!
Welcome to the HTF!
The best way for you to get some answers to your LaserDisc problem would be to start a thread in the Blu-ray, DVD, LD...other Playback Devices sub-forum and explain your issue.
The discussion taking place in this thread might not be attracting all our resident "source" experts who will be able to help you out more quickly.
Good luck and hope things work out for you.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
If experience is any teacher, we'll see lots of complaints like:

[*] "I can't find anything!"
[*] "Search isn't working"
[*] "The colors hurt my eyes"
[*] "It's too white"
[*] "It's too dark"
[*] "It's too wide"
[*] "It's too narrow"
[*] "The pages aren't the same size as before."
[*] "My subscriptions don't work"
[*] "My signature is all wrong."
[*] "My avatar is too small, too wide, too long, too square, missing"
[*] "I can't change this, that, or the other thing"
[*] "Quote" works differently than before"
[*] "Editing is different"
[*] "Where's the option for bold? Italics? Fonts? Inserting pictures? Inserting videos? Colored text? Smilies? etc..."
[*] My phone doesn't work the same on the forum.
[*] My pad doesn't work right
[/list] As Mike Frezon posted above, it's probably going to be very plain at first. The furniture and curtains won't be delivered for awhile, so use the time when the system's back up again to familiarize yourself with where things are - your user controls, the search function and how it works, navigating between pages, threads, and fora. And with the number of members, threads, posts that are here at HTF, I don't anticipate it coming back for maybe a couple of days. If it's quicker than that, I'll be surprised and delighted.
My best wishes to the technical staff here and the moderators. You guys have your work cut out for you and I don't envy you at all! Good luck!
Harry

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Harry, Thanks for the vote of support. We are very much looking forward to being in charge of our own destiny moving forward. Thanks, in advance, for everyone's patience as we get up and rolling over the next few weeks.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Just popping in to wish you guys luck on the renovations. This is one of my favourite sites on the WWW without doubt. I have confidence that the change will be for the better once we all get accustomed to it. Best of Irish luck! See you on the flip side. :) Patrick

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by DaveF
Is it this weekend? Best of success!
Starting tomorrow at approx 10AM PT updates will be on our FB page. I wouldn't anticipate we would be up any earlier than Sat afternoon as we need to convert the data, configure the site and do some testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks