Home theater control, PC or Remotes or ???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Todd^B, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

I am building a new house. I will have several locations with televisions and speakers throughout the house.

I will have surround (5.1) in 2 rooms with video, 7.1 in the theater room (obviously with video), in ceiling stereo speakers for televisions in at least 4 rooms, and music piped to about 4 other locations.

What would be the best way to control the audio/video sources for every room, so that I can access a large DVD changer, or possibly have a computer system that can store the videos on a hard drive, and also play different sources of music (CD, radio, ...)

I have been told of computer controlled systems, but they are very expensive. I have also seen some programmable remotes that will do a number of diffent things with the push of one button.

But, I am expecting to have several different units, such as a satellite reciever or two, a DVD/CD player, stereo, maybe VCR and possibly an input for internet radio.

Please help. The house is being built now, so this is the time to get the wiring in.