What's new

Home Movies (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Anyone here into shooting and editing home movies?

If so, what kind of software do you use?
I'm looking for some cheap software that allows for some editing and some music overlays.

My Nephew is into making movies and I want to help him out a bit. We made a short Michael Myers film and it actually worked out pretty well. We just want to chop out a scene, add a bit of music, and darken a couple of shots that are too bright.

If there is any freeware that can do this then that would be a bonus. He's only just 14 so it should be fairly simple to use.

Thanks for any advice.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm not sure about lighting, but Windows Movie Maker will let you edit scenes and add music. Depending on your version of Windows XP (if you have it), you'll want to upgrade to the latest version of WMM. Version 1.0 didn't have much functionality, but after Apple rolled out iMovie, Microsoft did a nice job of upgrading WMM in version 2.0.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Final Cut Express is really good.

Consumer version of Final Cut Pro, which is fast becoming standard in the industry.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Adobe Premier is a dog...

Though I've never used it, Avid has a free editor called Avid Free DV. It's worth giving a try.

Since your nephew is a student, if you have a Mac, for $99 you can get Final Cut Express, which is easy to use and blows away everything except Final Cut Pro and Avid Xpress Pro at the consumer/prosumer level.

Avid is the "standard in the industry." Just about all the top grossing films this year, last year, the year before... used their software (as well as many other films and TV studios/channels). Avid's acquisition of ProTools is a setback for FCP, since now Avid can integrate it into their software.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Hahaha! If he is like my (and most) kids, at 14 he will be able to use it long before you have figured it out. Good luck.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys, this has been very helpful.

:) This wouldn't surprise me.

If anyone else has any other ideas feel free to post them.

Thanks again,

Mike

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
ive used premiere and vegas, both with pretty good results. i liked vegas more, but it wouldnt accept my video clips that used a weird codec, but premiere did. the codec was installed, both programs on the same computer, but vegas didnt like it. other than that problem i had, i suggest vegas.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks