What's new

Home electrics....HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
Got a question for all you home electrains out there. My microwave started turning off whenever you turned it on. This happens only when it is plugged into the outlet behind it. If I unplug and plug into a different outlet then it works fine. The curcuit breaker for the outlet behind it does not trip. So I figured it was a bad outlet. I replaced it today and the microwave still shuts off when I go to use it. I can plug a light into it and it will work all day.......any ideas???? HELP!!!! This is driving me NUTS.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
More information please:
1) Are the two different outlets on the same circuit?
2) What else is sharing the circuit with outlet #1.
3) What's the power requirements for your microwave?
4) What is the circuits amp rating (15A, 20A)?
5) Does a little buzzer/bell go off when the microwave stops?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 27, 2001 at 03:43 PM]

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanks guys heres the info:
1) different curcuits
2) A fish bowl pump- I have unplugged this to test- still happens.
3)1.4 kw? 120 volts
4)15A
5)more like a buzzer than a bell lol

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Since you replaced the outlet already, try this:
With nothing plugged into the outlet, measure the voltage. It should be 120V or so. Then, go to a different circuit and measure it. Note the difference, if any.
Then, plug the light into the bad outlet, and check the voltage at the outlet while the light is on. If it drops more than 0.5volts (assume a 60W or so bulb), then you must have a loose connection somewhere, causing a high resistance point. These are the types of intermittent connections that burn houses down in the middle of the night. Find it!
Todd

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I'm stumped. If it's a 1400 W oven that should be maxing out the 15A breaker and the breaker should be tripping. You don't have to reset the breaker? Hmmm.
I went through this recently. I installed a new microwave/hood combo in the kitchen in place of just an old hood. I didn't know it at the time, but the new 1000 W oven was sharing a circuit with the kitchen lights, garage lights, outdoor lights, and 1st bedroom lights and outlets. The 1st bedroom has a computer in it with a 300 W power supply. So when everything was on and we ran the microwave...*Pop* goes the breaker!
So I installed a new 20A circuit and ran new 12awg wire to the microwave. Works like a champ now.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
1400W/120V= 11.67amps. Unless there are heavy loads elsewhere, the breaker wouldn't trip.
I've got a similar setup in my house, and never had any issues with it. My house is fairly new, though- 1994.
Todd

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
1400W/120V= 11.67amps. Unless there are heavy loads elsewhere, the breaker wouldn't trip.
That's if you're getting all 120V. You might be getting 110V, which makes it almost 13A. And, if it's an old breaker then it might not be able to handle a full 15A load. Sometimes 15A breakers trip at much lower levels then they are rated at. Also, when I was having my problems, it was pointed out that every time a breaker trips, it's load limit decreases. So a 15A breaker that's been tripped 5 times may only be able to handle 10A.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks