What's new

Home Builders who need HT Design help (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
My wife and I have been looking at new homes. We're not going to buy, we just like getting new decorating ideas.
We recently went to two different locations, and noticed that they had installed in-ceiling home theater speakers. Good so far. Then we noticed that where they put the center channel speaker, there was no way to place a tv there. Most of the time, the center channel was directly over the fireplace, with a demonstration big screen television off to the side (under the right surround speaker.) How ignorant can they be?
Obviously, a case of them wanting to say "Home Theater" without knowning anything about home theater.
------------------
Randy Tennison
Kansas City, MO
Home theater photos located at
http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

Khaled_H

Grip
Randy,
You bring up a good point. We were looking for a house last year here in the bay area. One of my criteria was to have the family room layout suitable for HT setup. We must have looked at about 15-20 different models and about 90% of them have what they call media Niche, where you can put your TV and equipment, usually placed right next to a fire place. And they were placed such that it will be difficult (if not impossible) to place two front speaker in any symmetrical manner. Which makes the arrangement totally useless to setup any reasonable HT. Found only one model (that I can afford) that had the family room laid out right for HT. Guess which one I bought.
Khaled

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a house up in the Bay Area and they had the nook also next to the fireplace, very common. Luckily, they had not sealed up the walls so I took the wall where the sofa should have gone and setup all the equipment on that wall, plenty of room for two speakers, two cabinets, a 60" TV, and the subwoofer. Than I ordered a sectional sofa put my main big chair on the other side of the fireplace. I had the builder put all the wires in the wall! The only thing I didn't see coming 3 years ago was EX where I needed two more wires in the walls, but since I don't have an EX receiver I guess it doesn't matter for now.
------------------
Jeff Leeds
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks