What's new

Holy ****! MSU vs U-M (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
What an ending! One of the best last minute victories I can recall (and the best probably in MSU history). I guess Michigan can kiss any shot at the national title goodbye.
Jeff Smoker really showed a lot of poise today. After that late fumble, I was afraid he would fold, but instead he looked like John Elway! (flame shield on - he's no Elway, so all you Denver people can relax).

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
One of the best last minute victories I can recall (and the best probably in MSU history)
Surely you are joking! Don't discredit MSU football! This game was mired in poor calls by officials and finished with a blantant disregard for the rules by the timekeeper. If this is what it takes to become a "best in history" game for any school... how sad!
BTW, no, I did not go to Michigan! I just hate to see outcomes of major games decided by poor officiating and outright cheating. The timekeeper should be fined and/or fired.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
There was poor officiating on both sides of the ball.
For one, after UM had 12 men on the field MSU should have been given back its timeout per the rules of football. And the phantom holding call on Ducketts TD run as well. And while we're at it, the WEAK personal foul called on Duckett in the first half.
Fact of the matter is, there were 12 men on the field, Rogers did get hands to the face, and there was 1 second left on the OFFICALs clock. I was there at Spartan Stadium.
-- Matt

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Well Matt, considering you are from East Lansing, I think there is a good chance you are less than objective
wink.gif

I did not disagree with the Rodgers call, it was flagrant and the call was made. I agree with the 12 man call, there were 12 men out there! But to say that there wasn't a little home cooking on the final play!!! Between the final second that lasted three seconds and the blatant no call on the holding RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIAL??? Come on, no team should be proud of winning this way. MSU played a great game, but it took the officials and the timekeeper to give it to them.
You are right, there were plenty of bad calls to go around. Thats why I think it is ludicrous to call this a great victory for either team!

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I am VERY objective. Believe me. I am a die hard Spartan but first also a very educated football fan. And objective, I just enjoy watching and disecting and analyzing football games as a former player.
MSU should have been given its timeout back after the penalty on Michigan. Plain and Simple. Plain and Simple. So that in essensce nulifies that arguement.
Was there homecooking maybe? I personally do not care because Michigan would have reacted the same way had the roles been reversed. It was a well played game, very fun to watch, and one of the most memorable ones I have ever seen.
Any victory either team has over each other is always great. No matter the conditions.
-- Matt
[Edited last by Matt Pasant on November 03, 2001 at 09:54 PM]

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I am still angry with the outcome of that game. For the record, what the timekeeper did during the final seconds was nothing short of cheating - PERIOD.
That said, there is a certain defensive coordinator that should truly be blamed for this loss. Penalties aside, I simply cannot believe how conservative the play-calling became during that final drive. MSU was out of time and timeouts, which effectively meant TJ Duckett couldn't pound them anymore. It was all in the hands of the quarterback, Jeff Smoker. Michigan suddenly reverses its trend for the day and begins rushing only three or four with absolutely no blitzing. WHY? Smoker was being SMOKED virtually everytime he dropped back to pass and they stop pressuring him?
Didn't someone once say the only thing a prevent defense prevents is winning. Nice call, Hermann.
angry.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another pissed off Michigan fan here. The last play should never have been run -- time should have run out. Then MSU does not get called for holding on the winning touchdown pass. Add in two phantom pass interference calls in the first half (I'm still trying to figure out the one on Rogers on the fake punt) and two missed MSU fumbles after receptions, and this is the biggest sham since Desmond Howard was tripped in the end zone on the two point conversion in 1990.
BTW, the personal foul against Duckett was a good call. He kicked the Michigan defender. He's lucky he did not get ejected.
Jeff, I do agree with you on the conservative defensive playcalling on that last drive. Michigan had been putting great pressure on Smoker the entire game. Why rush only 3 or 4 defenders in that situation? MSU's offensive line couldn't handle the pass rush the entire game.
Oh, well, as I said in another thread, Michigan was overrated. Navarre had a bad game, the Wolverines could not run the ball (again), and they could not stop Duckett. However, that does not excuse the terrible officiating in this game.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on November 04, 2001 at 09:20 AM]

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
MSU should have been given its timeout back after the penalty on Michigan. Plain and Simple.
I would have settled for the wasted six seconds due to the late flag, let alone the time out. Also, the NCAA should make the Michigan secondary give Charles Rogers his wallet back. He was mugged about a half dozen times besides just the ones they called.
The better team won that day. If Michigan had come ready to play, things might have been different, but they were not. Their defense's fatigue was evident by the end of the game, and they started getting sloppy. Despite what Lloyd Carr said, they did not deserve better. At least they can still look forward to basketball season. :)
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I look at it this way. Even if the clock was fixed (WHICH IT WAS NOT) shame on Michigan for allowing the touchdown pass anyway.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hey, I'm a Wolverine through and through and even I can't really argue with the outcome. An overly conservative offensive call on 3rd-and-short gave MSU the ball back with far too much time left on the clock. Follow that with conservative defensive playcalling and two stupid penalites and it would have been a shock if MSU hadn't scored. They still almost managed to blow it but I'll give them credit for gutting it out until the end.
That's the beauty of being a Michigan fan, they somehow manage to make each and every game interesting. They could be playing a peewee league team and still not put the game away until late in the 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks