What's new

Holy Grail problem (1 Viewer)

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
No problems on my Toshiba SD-6200 either. Whew!
------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Well I finally got my Toshiba 2107 to do it!
I was not getting the unwanted subtitles at all, but then I started pushing the subtitle and audio buttons on my remote, and suddenly it started to happen... Of course now it won't go away!
It suddenly hit me... could this be an intentional joke?
Something to throw us off since we all know the movie backwards and forwards anyway? Sort of like the "Matching Tie..." LP that actually had three sides? Sometimes when you put the needle down on side 2 it played something other than what was there before?
Never mind... I'm losing it...

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
the subtitles turning on and off seemes to be confined to some sonys and toshibas only. I have tried the disk on serveral players, ranging from samsungs to pioneers and have had no problems. Therefore should we be blaming the holy grail disc for this subtitle bug. It's entirely possible that the holy grail disc is fully inline with the DVD spec, in which case this is not a bug with the disc And the fault actually lies with these players, in which case you should be pressing sony & toshiba to install new firmware in your players. These days, it seems that DVD producers are not just expected to follow the DVD spec, but to test there discs on a massive number of players before pressing. If this is the case than it wouldnt stop me, not should it stop anyone else from buying the disc who doesnt own one of these players. The swedish subtitle on the credits is a different issue, and it depends on how important this is to you. They are unlikely to repress just for this, so maybe people that want it can wait for another regions release and import. Also if the problem was with less popular players, i belive people would be more inclined to blame the players rather than the disc. Some people must believe that sony players are near perfect, apart from the PS2 of course (i accept it's only a games machine and that dvd playback is an extra).

CharlesD

Screenwriter
quote: It's entirely possible that the holy grail disc is fully inline with the DVD spec, in which case this is not a bug with the disc And the fault actually lies with these players, in which case you should be pressing sony & toshiba to install new firmware in your players. [/quote]
I have a Toshiba 5109 and have this problem. I also have aprox. 250 other DVDs, none of which exhibit this problem. To me it is fairly clear there is no bug in the player's firmware, but is due to a badly programmed DVD. CTHV needs to fix this problem and replace the defective discs.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars
[Edited last by CharlesD on October 27, 2001 at 12:53 PM]

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
these bugs sometimes appear when dvd producers dont take into account the intracies of some players, but they do follow the spec to the letter. It could be a bug that always been there in thep player, but cause these players are popular the disk producers have always been carefull with producing disks to cater for them.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...I find it kind of ironic if not Pythonesque that the disc wont play properly on its Parent-Corporations Hardware (Sony)
First the missing TITLE subtitle, and now intermitent subs appearing....
may be time for a repressing...
------------------

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Sony 530-D and was on my way to buy this disc tonight. Should I?
Also, Best Buy has it for $24.99. Can it be bought any cheaper at a B&M?
You guys might remember that most of the early 530-D's had audio sync problems. So there might be a problem inherent in how Sony designed its circuitry.
[Edited last by Rutledge on October 27, 2001 at 06:14 PM]

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Wow - I see that from now on, I'm going to have to scan HTF for threads with the word "problem" in the title. I have a Toshiba, of course, and this film is one of my All Time Top Ten.
I've been so busy this week, that I haven't yet cracked the shrink wrap --- and I think I may now wait to see how this pans out --- I'm annoyed at what I'm reading about the missing "Swedish" subtitle as well.
One of my pet peeves is when people reply with the exactly wrong answer, but are arrogantly insistent upon it. This is exactly how one would characterize the response of the producer in the Studio Feedback thread...
furious.gif

Dennis U

Auditioning
Has anybody played the Holy Grail disc on a Sony
DVP-NS700P ? Did you have the glitch or not. I didn't see this player on the long list of Sony players with the problem, and there were a couple of Sony players that people had good luck with, so I am hoping for the best.
I haven't broke the wrap on my copy yet, so I will be grateful for any info. I would love to be able to watch this tonight.

Mike Moody

Auditioning
Another datum:
My S530D v2.400 is affected but doesn't seem to be as severe as most Sonys reported. If I:
Leave subtitles off--It works perfectly, no subtitles ever appear.
Select a subtitle track and/or Killer Rabbit in the menus, then watch--Again it works perfectly. The selected track stays on, no weird switching.
Watch subtitles for a while and then turn subtitles OFF again--NOW it starts spontaneously popping them up, and nothing short of ejecting the disc will fix it again.
The disc is perfectly watchable for me as long as I'm careful and don't try to change my mind in the middle.
My theory: The Killer Rabbit feature works with other subtitles also selected. I think it's set up to switch subtitle tracks to the rabbit and back automatically whenever the rabbit appears in this case, and this is what screws up the affected players.
I challenge everyone who does NOT have a problem to do the following test:
1-Select a subtitle track in the menu.
2-Play the movie through the point where Arthur is halted in front of the castle.
3-Turn off subtitles with the remote.
4-Continue watching through the Bring Out Your Dead part.
Let us know if this works right or the subtitles start popping up again.
Oh, BTW it works correctly in Cinemaster 99 and passes this test. It has a separate subtitle enable/disable rather than choosing OFF from the subtitle selection list.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Dennis: I just recieved my SONY DVP NS700P...the picture on it is amazing..and yes, the subtitle glitch happens on it...
------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on October 28, 2001 at 04:53 PM]

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
Went to Best Buy and got my copy this evening and paid $24.99 for it. Went to Costco to get some groceries on my way home and found out that they had it for $18.99. Aaaargh.
It looks much better than the original DVD. Better color and brighter too.
I did notice some flicker and a luminous look to the picture. The opening seen doesn't look great but the "Black Knight" scene looked great.
I also see an almost invisible horizontal line at the lower third of the screen. It is only visible in well lit scenes.
Overall a big improvement and the definitive "Holy Grail".
Uhhh, as I was typing this, the witch scene came up, along with a subtitle, which quickly disappeared.
I have the Sony 530-D.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I just wanted to say that my new Panasonic DVD-RV31-UK works just fine.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
For the record, my Pioneer DVL-700 behaves exactly the same as my Sony 650D -- about six or so subs pop up throughout the movie, but they then go away without being turned off.
Curiouser and curiouser.
Ryan

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Why don't the major DVD sites such as DVDFile, The Digital Bits and DVD Review have warnings posted? Don't they have a responsibility to their readers? A lot of people are going to buy Holy Grail discs that won't play in their players, and a lot of retailers won't accept defective returns except for the same title - which will do no good at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks