What's new

HOLY FLIRKING SCHMIDT! New Lord of the Rings releases! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Considering the current releases have the guys shopping for CD's and other fun behind the scenes stuff, what else is there left to know about? My EE's and regular versions are fine for me.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

My thought process exactly (except I did buy all the previous cuts, so I'm even worse) :D

The five stages of LOTR DVD buying (also known as Lucas-Jackson-Cameron syndrome):

1. Denial. "Oh, don't tell me... They did not just announce that!!!"

2. Anger. "What??! They're triple-dipping?? MOTHER@#$?!!!!"

3. Bargaining. "Come on, I can just pick up the extras disc second-hand, yep I will hold out till it's in the $10 bin, come on, I can do it!"

4. Depression. "But then I won't get the new Gollum in FOTR and the seamless branching and the one-disc EEs, and and and..."

5. Acceptance. "I'm so New Line's bitch. And I'm lovin' it".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to get technical, but

DVD-9 holds 8.5GB; times 2 = 17GB
DVD-18 holds 15.9GB

Meaning, 1.1GB less on a DVD-18 over two DVD-9's.

:)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
They made this for me. :D

It's exactly what I want. As a casual fan of the films I never could decide what to buy. As a result, the only dvd I ever bought was the 2 disc FOTR.

If the quality isn't compromised the only other thing that might keep me from buying is if I decide to hold off for hi def.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Wait a sec... I know a DVD-9 holds less than twice as much as a DVD-5 (one of the layers holds less), but isn't a DVD-18 pretty much just two DVD-9's back to back?

Anyway, I see no reason to upgrade to this... but I find it interesting that PJ is including the theatricals. It looks like he meant it when he said that the TE's were his preferred versions of the film, and the EE's were for the fans.

(It's funny, I actually do think the TE's are better films overall, but there are many EE moments that I hate to miss... so I'm always conflicted about which to watch. And I consider them both to be cliff notes versions of what "really" happened in the books. :))

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
first, i hope netflix lets me just rent the docu disc. they did it for extended and that was rare, i have a sneak suspicion, they'll do it for these new discs as well, just slower.

second, this is why i think SE/bonus that is *LONGER THAN THE FILMS THEMSELVES IN TOTAL running time* should be released separately a la "look up in the sky' docu for superman returns or production diaries for KK. this way, i can just rent the bonus. i hate keeping that extra disc for all of the DVD's i own because i NEVER watch bonus material more than once except "The Beginning" from ep1 (that was awesome).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, it's all over the map is my problem =).

pressed DVD-9 can hold a lot (overburn like back in the CDR days?). i see the overburn options on Nero, but it's measeley 100-200 overburn. 8.5GB is DVDR DL, but it's more like 8.1GB or under that.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
What would really float my boat would be the ability to pre-program the switches between the two versions - create one's own version of the ideal cut. I seem to remember Charlie de Lauzirika in another thread saying that HD discs might have this kind of functionality.

My perfect versions of the films would be shorter than the EEs but longer than the theatricals. The only EE that I think is substantively better is TTT.

As for these new discs, I think I can hold out for HD, though the docs are a temptation. And if PJ actually does change anything, I'll probably cave.

--Jefferson Morris

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I agree. The only things I'd cut from the extended TTT are the silly Gimli lines around Gandalf's return scene.

Now, ROTK:EE, I'd love to cut all sorts of things out of that... but still have it be longer than the theatrical.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The one major scene from RotK:EE I'd snip would be the seizure of the Umbar Corsairs' ships after the "Paths of the Dead" sequence...in this case, it utterly ruins the later surprise reveal at the Minas Tirith docks.

Though it features a Gimli moment that's admittedly worth a smirk, it should've stayed on the cutting room floor for bigger reasons.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, this release hurts because I can't justify spending the money on this set. I already have the EE with DTS and 4 commentaries, why would I want to downgrade to just DD and no commentaries. I already have the 2 disc TE releases as well. I'm sure the doc will be great and it sucks that I will not be able to watch it but, with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray on the horizon I just can't spend the money on these. It hurts even more b/c these are my favorite movies. Why can't New Line release the doc separately, every LOTR fan would buy that? For me, it just seems too early for NL to be asking fans to triple dip on this series. The extend score soundtracks aren't even all out yet but the movies are seeing there 3rd release.

What I find funny is that Lucas gets crapped on for releasing Star Wars over and over but, New Line has gotten mostly praise in here for this triple dip.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
as long as the movie in not on a DVD 18-I will be happy.
Since most discs seem to be made in Mexico these days (look at the DUNE fiasco) I try to avoid them. Plus its nice to have art and info on the discs face, without a getting out a 100x Microscope to see which side is what...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
So an overcompressed 4+ hour film on a DVD9 would be preferable to you? :?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's why I'm assuming the new material may not be worth the price alone. It's just some new stuff they wanted to add to the sets to make them more attractive to new buyers.

At least that's what I'm hoping the new footage is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks