What's new

HOLY FLIRKING SCHMIDT! New Lord of the Rings releases! (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've got all of the theatrical editions and the extended editions. I've watched all of the extras on all of the versions at least once, but still, I can't justify purchasing the LOTR films again unless they're on HD-DVD/BlueRay and I've purchased a HD-DVD/BlueRay player, which isn't in the budget for awhile.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
Do they have to make the packaging so damn gorgeous?!!!! Come to think of it, that is the kind of packaging I always wished for the original theatrical versions. :D

No doubt, I'll buy these. I'll be weak for doing so, but LotR owns my soul. hehe

Over the years, I've come to have a greater appreciation for the theatrical cuts than I initially did. PJ had an excellent eye for editing, and I firmly believe that the correct versions were released in theaters. It's often tempting to turn those versions on, simply because three hours is less daunting than four (in RotK's case, that is). I'd love to own theatrical sets that had bonus features beyond promotional material. The Oscar-winning cuts really did deserve more than that.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
They absolutely would HAVE to have the films on a flipper disc. And even so the films would be compressed beyond belief. Wouldn't they?

I'm also half a mind to think they're doing this because they're phasing out the Extended versions, and they'll soon be out of print. Only a guess on my part, however.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
A DVD-18 would be no more compressed than 2 DVD-9's, it would just lack pretty disc art.

Assuming they don't have 4 commentaries and a DTS track each, these releases could have a HIGHER bitrate than the extended editions.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

lol Ditto. The same goes for my ROTK TE too.

No, these documentaries might be the greatest documentaries on the planet, but I won't buy these films again until they are on the prevailing HD home video format. This double-, triple-, and quadruple dipping is getting ridiculous.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

But this is 2 versions of the film, albeit via "seamless branching." I just don't see this version having better audio/video than the EE's. But hey, we'll see I guess.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I do think Fellowship definitely needs a new transfer...it's average IMO. While Two Towers is definitely better, there's room for improvement. I have no problem with King.

I have to wonder if this is some kind of prep for an eventual HD DVD release.

I'm not sure I will double-dip....as I might just wait for the HD release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I too am tempted to buy these.

Imagine being able to switch between the THEATRICAL and EXTENDED
VERSIONS on the fly.

The covers look fantastic.

The problem is, we just bought those expensive sets not too long
ago and it's obvious that New Line is just putting these out as sort
of a "last hurrah" on DVD.

My biggest fear is buying these and then having them released
on HD-DVD in another year or two.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've been waiting forever for the documentaries, but do I need another set of these films? Especially with everything else coming this fall. Sigh. I'll think on it. I still haven't purchased the theatrical editions and these could work in place of that set.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
The covers are nice and they certainly look... familiar.
:)

I am sure I will probably end up getting these - I love this series and am a complete sucker for well-made documentaries

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't know if the doc is worth the quadruple dip for me. I already own theatrical widescreen, theatrical full frame, and extended for all three films.

The seamless branching... hmm, if you could actually go scene by scene with the seamless branching, creating your own personal perfect "cut" of the film, now that would be something I'd like to have.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Sorry Brian. The theatrical full frame versions don't count.

I think I want to learn more about the docs before I commit to purchasing this. But obviously someone was listening to the fans with regards to those covers.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
With a potential HD release around the corner I just can't bring myself to purchase these again. Hopefully Netflix will provide the bonus disc as a rental.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
No reason to buy these, unless the extras are *exclusive*, with HD releases that are more than likely around the corner. Granted, not everyone has an HDTV. I'll wait.

If he's going to tinker with the CG, I wish he'd fix that dopey goof in RotK EE near the end when Aragorn kills the Mouth of Sauron and it subsequently disappears.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I already used custom covers from Ric's site (at the bottom of this page: http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_106.htm) to combine my theatrical and EE sets into one case for each film. I don't really see a need to upgrade...

Even if he replaces FOTR Gollum with TT/ROTK Gollum or tweaks anything else. Really, I can resist.

Yup.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I like those covers. So much that I created ones very similar quite awhile back...
http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_106.htm

****EDIT... Hey John and Zack... You beat me to it! I hadn't even noticed there was a second page to this thread until I posted!****

Not sure if I'll be getting these or will be holding off until an HD version... depending on if anyone wins the format war, of course.

PS, how come I can't find those fancy buttons in this new forum for posting pix and links and such?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks