Hollywood's New Thing: Front Loading

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

This article from Jack Mathews of the New York Daily News explains it all. Interestingly, "Pearl Harbor" actually opened on 6000 screens not the 3200+ as Disney stated.
    http://nydailynews.com/today/New_Yor...s/a-123086.asp
    [Edited last by Peter Kline on August 27, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

2. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I've been working in movie theaters for the past 15 years, the past 5 or so in multi-plexes of 12 or more screens. I am able to puff my self up with pride and say, "I've been saying that for 5 years now."
    One thing the article doesn't talk about is that there are so many theaters all over the place now that not only can everyone see a film on it's opening weekend, but all those people are spread out across many different movie houses. With the audience being so spread out, no ONE theater or theater chain makes any real money off the newest blockbuster. That being the case, they try to build more, bigger theaters to get a larger share of the audience. This just spreads it out more because the competition does the same, and now they're saddled with huge theaters with huge overhead costs. All the while, the same audience just keeps on getting spread thinner and thinner over all these theaters.
    This, then, creates situations in which print quality can suffer because they don't have enough people to keep a close eye on things, which sends more and more people to HBO, Pay-per-View and DVD sales to get their movie fix.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Remember how films used to be released on a limited "roadshow" engagement for their first few months--that's right, months--and then on a wide "showcase" run that, in some cases, could last for years?
    Also, remember how, in those days, a popular film's ad would be bannered "34th week!" or somesuch?
    This, of course, ended by the 1980s.
    There have been a lot of stories appearing in the past three or four weeks about this whole phenomenon of going for the big opening weekend as a make-or-break situation.
    Of course, many of the writers agree: If only Hollywood would put out better "product."
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

Makes it tough to justify spending money on the Home Theater when the dearth of good new movies is as it is.
    blah.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, yahoo!,
    I'd have all my money back. -- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Dave White

Dave White Auditioning

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Dave,
    and?....
    What the article infers is that the so-called "per screen average" of Pearl Harbor was a lot less than Disney and others stated.
    Peter
    ------------------

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Because it's 3200+ and technically 6000 would be included since it's higher than 3200.
    Just like if I advertised a product and claimed "Ready in seconds" it could be 40000 seconds for all you know.
    ------------------

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And, Jason, I think the solution to the station-bug mess is in the governnment's hands. ... [​IMG]
    To support your argument, however, a friend of mine who was living in Nashville back in the '70s tells me Paul Mazursky's lovely and charming little road film, Harry and Tonto didn't even arrive in that town until the early summer of 1975--when the film was already a year old. So, yes, overall the situation has improved vis. distribution.
    But this front-loading phenomenon has disturbing implications. When the studio's primary objective is the big opening weekend, it doesn't much care if the film is good enough to have "legs." (Among other things.)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

11. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

13. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

14. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Well.....
    Most theatre chains will pay an approx 58% - 65% on film rental just in the month of July.
    and.... Rumor (again!) on the street is that Regal will file chapt. 11, this week.
    So... the mighty will fall!
    Dugger