What's new

Hollywood, will you PLEASE retire the Wilhelm scream!? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I love this thread. I've heard the Wilhelm in several movies, and noticed it. However, I never thought it was the exact same scream. I just thought it was the noise people made when they died. ;)

I've picked out Doom sound effects in a few films. Off the top of my head, the reindeer in "The Santa Clause" make several "imp" noises found in Doom as Tim Allen is talking with them on the rooftop. Like Vince said, I'm sure these are part of a commercial set. Just like when I hear the sound of a creature (I can't remember which one) in Heretic. It's kind of like a alien-lizard sound. I hear it all over the place in cartoons.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

Absolutely, it was there.
In fact, Burtt didn't make you wait and try and figure out where in the movie it was coming (like TTT where it comes during the siege), it is part of the first 20 mins action scene.

I can't point to the exact scene, since everything was moving so fast and furiously, but I definitely heard it.
unmistakenable...in fact, the first thought in my head was this thread. I chuckled to myself, like...oh...there it is...of course !

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It appears a couple of times in ROTS.. early on in the fight aboard Grievous' ship.

Anyway, as to:

Same here; I love it. Brings a smile to my face every time.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Likewise with me. When I heard it, I leaned over to my wife and said, "there's the Wilhelm Scream". She looked at me very puzzled. I had to explain it later. I had never heard of it until I read this thread. Now I am constantly on the alert. Thanks a lot.:)

RichardK

Second Unit
Heard it too in ROTS, the scene in spoilers above is the only place i heard it. Funny as heck now that I know what it is. Why didnt I think of the perfect scream? Hmmm, I wonder if there is a perfect fart out there being used yet??? :D

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
The Wilhelm scream is also in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade...I've seen the first two IJ movies mentioned here, but not Crusade.

When Indy, Sallah and the Brothers of the Cruciform Sword are attacking the Nazi caravan, some of the brothers get blown up by a mortar or something. Yep, one of them lets loose with the Wilhelm Screem.

I would have never noticed it if it hadn't been for this damn thread! Took me right out of the movie!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I used to make out the scream a lot, but I didn't know it had a name until this thread. And I do notice it even more, because of that! :D

Oh, and it's used in "Team America". I believe at the end when Gary fights with Kim Jong Il's guards.

StevenFC

Second Unit
I think Hollywood should start using Wayne Knight's scream from Jurassic Park, when he gets killed in the jeep by the spitting dinosaur. Great scream!

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

Again kind of appropriate since that scene was parodying Star Wars. No matter how many movies it has been in I will always associate it with that stormtrooper falling off the bridge.

I don't think anyone has posted this yet but a guy made a 3 minute montage of Wilhelms. The Force had an interview with him and a link to the quicktime file here:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...ream_77600.asp

--Ian

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
"Wilhelm" is an old friend. It was VERY reassuring to hear him in REVENGE OF THE SITHS. I have 16mm prints of many of his appearances, including DISTANT DRUMS. I think it's great that both he and Charles Lane are still "available!"

As for Fay Wray, not only did her KONG screams become part of the RKO sound effects library, but her WAX MUSEUM screams became part of the Warners sound effects library. Wouldn't have been a hoot if they'd dubbed her in for the new twit in HOUSE OF WAX!?

Also, Karloff's horrific scream when he realizes Ygor is dead in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN was used in many Universal B's throughout the 40's, including HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE SPIDER WOMAN. I think it's even in BRUTE FORCE.

aldamon

Second Unit

The sound I always hear in movies and trailers is from Doom 2. It's the sound heard when the final boss shoots enemies towards you. Kind of a hybrid swoosh/electronic whistle.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I was sitting at ROTS with people I work with and couldn't help but feel a little embarassment when I let out a laugh when I heard the Wilhelm scream. They were probably wondering what the heck I laughed at.

I can't remember where I first heard about the Wilhelm, but ever since I've been looking for it in the prequels.

I'm glad it happened early, then I could get down to business watching the film and not thinking about it. But, boy, was I happy to hear it.

I agree, though, it shouldn't be overused. I don't want to hear it in every movie. Just Star Wars. :D

Ahh, my last Star Wars Wilhelm. *sniff*

aldamon

Second Unit
Has anyone here played the Jedi Knight series of games on the PC? I remember hearing the Wilhelm scream quite a bit from storm troopers and dark Jedi in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Funny stuff.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
LOL. An episode of Bronco aired on TV Land today, and there was a nice Wilhelm. It also had the "body hitting the ground" sound that I always hear. You know which one I mean? It can happen when someone is tackled, or someone just falls. I can't really describe it, but it's always the same. I don't think I've heard it in real life.

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

I think I heard the Dumb and Dumber "Diarrhea Squeak" used in another movie recently. Maybe that one is catching on. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks