What's new

Hollywood video used DVD sale 2 for $20 (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
This is a chain that exists in New England, Boston at least, and maybe elsewhere (I don't know).

I think it started on Sunday, that's when I noticed it (Sunday flier, and the stores have giant vinyl banners hyping it). I didn't expect much but it looked like they must have trucked in extras because there's no way these all came from one store.

Tons of multiple copies of recent releases, and a very few niche films thrown in for good measure (depending on how hip an area your store is in). I got Blade II and Star Wars II and Roger Dodger and Not Another Teen Movie, and I considered getting XxX and Atlantis and American Pie II, and there were several others I already owned such as Signs, and some older material left like AI and Hearts in Atlantis, Spy Game, 15 Minutes, Clockstoppers, Austin Powers in Goldmember, etc.

The niche films (art house films, or cult films, etc.) I remember seeing included Amy's O, My New Best Friend, No Such Thing, and a few others (not many, and different by store - I visted two stores to see). The niche films, they only tended to have one or two of.

***I also noticed that they had Amaray sleeve art for several titles which had only been sold to consumers as snappers, such as Mamet's The Heist. Too bad I already owned the snapper...now I know to wait.***

None of the used discs still had their inner inserts, so bear that in mind, and most of the double cases were the weird rental cases.

About the prices, since they still had their old stickers it was evident that the usual used prices are $10, or $12, or $15.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I was thinking about picking up "Signs" and "About a Boy"; are the discs themselves usually in good condition?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Yeah, actually they are. A couple I got were had some fingerprints, but other that that, they looked and played good.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can confirm the same sale is on here at the Albany, NY-area Hollywood Video stores.

I can also confirm that I have purchased a few used DVDs at HV and have found no problems at all -- except for the lack of inserts. Kind of a pain not to have a chapter list in some instances. But discs have always played without a problem. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks