Holiday Inn (1942) - 10/7

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Noach Kowalski, Jul 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

If you have double-feature DVD, though, you'll have to keep it because it also has Going My Way. My solution: Give away the DVD in this pack and put the old DVD in its place!

2. telzall

telzall Stunt Coordinator

second star to the right; straight on til morning
    joe
    Agreed!! One of which is worse than bogus!

3. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    White Christmas is but a pale, outdated shadow of HI.
    Apart from Singin' in the Rain, I don't cotton much to 50's "scavenger" musicals that tried to piece together stories out of past composer hits, and put the big hit in the movie title...In the 40's, every musical was new. And they had nightclubs back then, not TV.
    (And Fred Astaire was still a wiseass back then, not playing "daddy-figure" to Leslie Caron or Audrey Hepburn.)

Only time I saw Holiday Inn was on non-TCM commercial TV, where, of course, they had to cut the Lincoln's-birthday "Abraham" number...Even though that song also showed up in White Christmas as an instrumental.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Not every musical in the 1940s used new music. MGM and Warners had those all-star composer bios that used all of the composers' famous catalog of hits. And you certainly know that the Irving Berlin musicals of the 1940s like Easter Parade and Blue Skies were a mix of old AND new Berlin tunes. Even Holiday Inn recycled "Easter Parade" though all of the other songs were new to the film.

JoelA likes this.
  5. JoelA

JoelA Screenwriter

Joel Arndt
    Matt, you're absolutely correct and didn't Irving Berlin start his participation in this practice of writing film scores that mixed old and new songs with 20th's Alexander's Ragtime Band in 1938 way before the "scavenger" musicals of the 50's? Actually, it was a brilliant business move on Mr. Berlin's part as he found this method of recycling his old songs kept public interest high, so they kept buying the sheet music which put money in his pocket. Needless to say, he wrote some of the best songs in the American songbook and profit-wise or not they deserve to be heard for eternity.

MatthewA, Jack K and Matt Hough like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Irving Berlin was certainly the master of peddling his vast songbook to studios with the promise of new material if needed. And you're right, Joel, doing this kept many of his earliest songs like "Always" and "Alexander's Ragtime Band" front and center through decade after decade which kept royalties rolling in for him and insuring that many of his songs weren't flash-in-the-pan hits but standards.

JoelA likes this.
  7. AshJW

AshJW Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Even if Holiday Inn is better than White Christmas (and it is), the lat(t)er is still a good picture.

I don't get this bashing on White Christmas. :huh:
    Can't we be happy about the fact that both films will be on Blu?

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Because that's what people do.......

9. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

If you are referring to me (which I don't THINK you are). I do like White Christmas and have it on Blu. I just like Holiday Inn better. :)

AshJW likes this.
  10. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    I've seen White Christmas many times over the years, it is standard in our household to watch every Christmas. Just last year i picked up Holiday Inn and watched it for the first time. We all liked it very much but there are a few scene's I cringed at a bit and felt the need to discuss with my daughters before watching again. It shows its age in those scenes, but otherwise it is an excellent story.

11. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I always found WHITE CHRISTMAS just a bit better than HOLIDAY INN because of the stronger female leads. Marjorie Reynolds is so bland to me and the other girl, whose name I don't even recall now, is not very likable and doesn't have much to do anyway. Whereas in WHITE CHRISTMAS we have the incredibly talented Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen, who work very well together as sisters and as love interests for Bing and Danny. Add Dean Jagger and Mary Wickes to the mix, stir in some VistaVision and Technicolor, and WHITE CHRISTMAS wins the race for me.

Keith Cobby, AshJW and David_B_K like this.
  12. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I like both. White Christmas has all that great Technicolor, but Bing is a bit too laid back in it for me. Fortunately, Danny Kaye picks up a lot of the slack. And White Christmas has little to do with Christmas (or snow) until the end. I like how Holiday Inn actually features the holidays a bit more, and I think it has better songs over all. But Astaire's character is kind of a jerk, and Walter Abel is obnoxious. So, both films have plusses and minuses. I'd probably go with White Christmas by a nose. Some sort of combination of the two would make a really good film.

moviebuff75 and Rob_Ray like this.
  13. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    WC is in my top ten favorite movies, but both are in my top ten favorite Christmas movies. HI features a world I would love to live in.

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I've seen a HD broadcast of this and it's gorgeous; like It's A Wonderful Life, it really grieves me to own a 'crayoned in' version, but I'll certainly be getting this,

15. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    "White Christmas" always holds the edge for me, mainly because of Rosemary Clooney and those wonderful Vera-Ellen/Danny Kaye dance numbers.

Keith Cobby, Rob_Ray and Will Krupp like this.
  16. Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore Supporting Actor

Todd Moore
    I really like HI, but WC is my personal favorite Christmas movie. I got to see it on the big screen last year at an AMC and absolutely loved the experience plus the audience was actually respectful of what they were watching. Maybe that's a Philly thing since a lot of old movies that I've seen in NYC at the Film Forum the audience sniggers their way through whereas in Philly it seems that the people seeing those old movies WANT to see them. Anyhow, I'll pick up HI on Blu. It's worth it just for the Fourth of July sequence.

17. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    108740_large.jpg

Now Available For Preorder
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

18. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    Hope 1 disc is enough for the 2 versions of the film + the extras! :unsure:

lukejosephchung likes this.
  19. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    If it's a BD-50 pressing, it should be.

20. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David