What's new

Hole cutting after veneering (1 Viewer)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
What methods have you guys tried for this? I have cut holes before using an exacto knife, but these were for surface mount drivers and the hole could not be seen. The speakers I am presently building have recessed mounts so any bad cutting will show.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jim, on all but two of the cabinets I've built, I do the driver holes and recesses first, as the thread suggests, then I us and Xacto knife to cut through the veneer. It's easy because the outline of the recess outer diameter is telgraphed through the veneer in the process of applying great pressure rubbing down the veneer for good adhesion. Just follow that outline carefully, cutting a bit inside the diameter, then go back and final trim by using sawing motions, with the downstroke being your cutting stroke so you don't lift the veneer edge. You can then do final smoothing with very fine grit sandpaper. This description seems involved, but to me, it's about as fast as the whole process of setting up a router with two bit and depth changes. As I always say, try both processes on scrap and go with the one you're most comfortable with.

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I would think that using a router may cause the veneer to possible chip wouldn't it? To be safe, definately router in a bit from the desired diameter and then sand down to what you need. I've always found that a carpenters knife and sand paper was pretty simple, but I have never tried a router on veneer. I was too afraid it would chip it.
------------------
Crash
"Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus TWO plus one plus one..."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Will Ernst

Agent
I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I've read over and over how a router is ideal for veneer with a pattern bit or a flush trimmer. After all a laminate trimmer is just a small router.
-will

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I'll try it this weekend using a scrap first and let you know which method works. I may also try a dremel with a tiny router/cutting bit.

Doug Eck

Auditioning
I believe the router method described in Patrick's reply is the best option. However, if for some reason you don't want to use a router, using a "hook" blade in a utility knife worked the best out of all the methods I tried in my pre-router days. The knife never slips, and the outside of the hook (which won't cut) helps to guide the knife around the outside edge of the rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread