Hold the hankies: What about _Marcus Welby MD_?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jack Briggs, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Though the good Doctor Welby seemed to treat/cure most of his patients with a stern but loving lecture, there's something endearing and even a little enduring about the best episodes from this 1969-75 ABC-TV series: a good ensemble cast (with good chemistry between Robert Young and James Brolin — and that woman who played Nurse Consuella), occasionally excellent scripts (though many stories lapsed into Soap Opera-ish nonsense), and compelling, relevant-to-the-times themes.

The series does not show up in syndication often, though it bears noting that Marcus Welby MD was, for about three years, the top-rated prime-time show in the Neilsens.

There may not be much demand for this series on DVD, and I cannot say for sure that I'd purchase season sets of it — but I might, and I'd like to have the option, at least.

Sometimes you just need to unwind with melodrama.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So, I guess I am the only one who might be interested in seeing this series on DVD.

3. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I have a fond memory of these medical shows from the 70s. "Medical Center" and "Emergency" also come to mind. I forget, was it a Marcus Welby where Robert Reed gets a sex change operation? I most definitely would pick these shows up. They are classics from days gone by!

Carlos.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    That's all they are to me now too. I loved Marcus Welby, Emergency etc. A good friend of mine, a member here, were just discussing Marcus Welby.

Memories? man, 29 Palms low-rent miltary housing, the Vietnam conflict, living on base as a young boy, my Big Wheel, my mother blasting the Airplane in our plush 1971 Duster and a FULL SERVICE gas station that handed out free Noah's Ark animals.

5. Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Gosh, I loved this show as a kid. Yeah, I'd buy it. It had a great theme (Mancini, maybe?), and a warmth that was very comforting each week. Of course, James Brolin had the weirdest hair. I loved Elena Verdugo as Consuela - she was really ahead of her time in a lot of ways.

6. James_Garner

James_Garner Stunt Coordinator

James Garner

Nope. It was Medical Center. Welby wouldn't be that edgy. The good doctor would have thrown a hissy fit ;-)

7. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

I never seen this show before. Sounds interesting. But then Perry Mason bores me.

8. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I just posted 2 days ago asking about Welby, Ben Casey, Kildare and Medical Center and I got nary a reply. I would buy Welby but I'm not holding my breath. As a matter of fact I have a friend in Canada recording them for me now from a station that runs them complete. So I'm getting them regardless of what Universal does or doesn't do.