What's new

Hockey talk - thoughts on the new rules? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With the new season underway, I am curious what others think of the new rules, especially the obstruction calls, and the seemingly lesser emphasis on goalie interference.

After watching Anaheim take 5 straight penalties the other night, then not get called for a blatent hook which negated a scoring opportunity, I think the refs have to quit playing even up and just call the penalties as they happen, even if it means one team takes 40 consecutive penalties.

I think the obstruction rule is good, but it also seems to be causing some of the D to be too wusey when it comes to hitting. I can do without the clutching and grabbing, but taking a guy out of the play should be allowed if it is done cleanly.

Thoughts?

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
New rules = No Hit League. Now Ive only really been watching Canuck games, so its a limited sample, but there seems to be absolutely no hitting anymore.
They have the right idea but it hasnt really been effective yet. Way too many power plays makes for some pretty dull hockey. But its still early, the pp's should start to come down a bit, but if its still like this in January.... :thumbsdown:
I think they may have gone overboard on some of the rules. If they would just call the neutral zone interference and the picks/hooking/holding in the offensive zone and not all the little wussy stuff we would have seen better hockey without 20 powerplays a game.
I feel sorry for the defenseman and the goalies. The goalies are getting run over constantly, while defenseman are getting pasted into the boards because the forwards are free to skate right in and hammer them.
One thing I really dont like is the quick faceoffs and 2 hour games. Im all for getting rid of all the stall tactics and stuff but if Im paying $80 for a ticket I would like to be at the rink for more than 2:15.
Just some of my random thoughts.... I probably have a few more :D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
We are watching the same games. :)
I think the goalies should be afforded a bit more protection (none of that skate in the crease BS mind you), and the D has to be able to do their job.
I don't mind the quick faceoffs, of course, I'm watching from home. If they would get rid of those damn Subway commercials I'd be a much happier man.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
One thing I really dont like is the quick faceoffs and 2 hour games.
I totally DISagree. I loved the other night when a non mentioning team already had a power play vs the Rangers and the ref dropped the puck and not a singe ranger was there to take the faceoff. I'm tired off all the dick'n around before faceoffs.
I do think in the games I have seen that they are protecting the goalies better.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the trend will be fewer penalty calls as the season progresses, with things "back to normal" by playoff time. That's been the trend in previous seasons when the NHL has decided to emphasize certain infractions.

One thing I really dont like is the quick faceoffs and 2 hour games. Im all for getting rid of all the stall tactics and stuff but if Im paying $80 for a ticket I would like to be at the rink for more than 2:15.
Sorry, but I cannot agree with this. All the league has done is remove some of the dead time between the real action. I really liked how the game flowed during the Olympics. I cannot see how you get more for your money if the game lasts 3 hours with 45 minutes more dead time. There is still 60 minutes worth of action. I wish that major league baseball would do something similar -- I may even considering watching a game again (but probably not).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Hockey with no hitting? What's the point? Whatever happened to the whole "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" mentality? I loved it as a kid when players like Bobby Clarke had no front teeth. That was hockey! I don't know what these guys today are playing.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What I hate is the inconsistency. If something is a penalty, it's a penalty - call it. If it isn't a penalty, don't call it just to give the other team a break. Don't be calling every minor thing in the first, then let all hell break loose in the third. That's where the refs start deciding games, which is bogus. If the players know they are going to get called, they can either commit the offense and pay the price, or learn to play without the need to hook, or grab or board a guy.

There does need to be more hitting though, but not cheap shots.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I don't mind the quick faceoffs, of course, I'm watching from home. If they would get rid of those damn Subway commercials I'd be a much happier man.
I here ya, every commercial break subway and budget brake and muffler. Whatever happened to the good old fashioned beer and truck commercials. Your stuck watching anoying commercials or you can flip the channel and miss the action cause they dropped the puck already :)
I actually think the refs have done a decent job of being consistent throughout the game. They definately havent been afraid to call penalties when a team is shorthanded.
Still cant figure out how guys are getting called for simply touching a guy and the goalies are getting hit constantly. WTF?
Sweet dont have to watch the fricken laffs on HNIC tonight!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Funny how the first person to complain about "no hitting" is an American. :D
If you guys remember watching old Oilers playoff games, you'll find they are even more exciting because of the finesse they showed on the ice. Naturally, for variety, Glen Sather would shove Dave Semenko (resident meathead) onto the ice to take revenge if someone hits Gretzky or Kurri. Invariably, the American fans (if the Oilers are the visitors) go nuts! It's hilarious! :laugh:

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I think the players will adjust if the crackdown on obstruction continues. Hitting will come back.

I was at the Anaheim game Jeff was talking about and it wasn't a great game. To go O'fer 9 on your PP and give up a short handed goal was pretty bad. And, last night's third period collapse against the Stars was brutal.

Patrick

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Agreed with last night's game. They were doing okay then those two goals killed 'em. At least they broke the PP slump, but they have to get that going. Sedin winning faceoffs is a good omen, and our penalty kill is still impressive. This next stretch should be a good test, with Buffalo and two Avalanche matchups.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Funny how we were talking about the new rules, and in last nights game there were more too many men on the ice penalties than obstruction calls. It was like the refs just decided to let everything go.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I agree completly on the fact that the new rules seem to be taking away alot of the hitting. I was at the Oilers/Bruins game last week, Laroque absolutley pasted a guy into the boards just after he'd passed the puck and a penalty was called where last year there would have been no penalty. I think those types of calls should not be made but I am all for calling the clutching and grabbing.

Side note - Can Anaheim hold a 3rd period lead?

EugeneR

Second Unit
Don't be calling every minor thing in the first, then let all hell break loose in the third. That's where the refs start deciding games, which is bogus.
Amen, brother! But hasn't it always been that way?
I hate all the clutching and grabbing that goes on; I see no reason why some forth-liner for the Wild should be allowed to waterski behind Lemieux. I really miss the days of the old Oilers--now that was hockey the way God meant hockey to be played! That being said, if they don't start calling things more evenly, I wish they'd just go back to the old way of doing things, because now you can watch two games on two channels and you will see two completely different sets of rules being enforced. The players are completely frustrated and I don't blame them.
Whatever, the NHL will go back to same old, same old by the time the playoffs roll around: no-talent marginal players will be allowed to clutch, grab and generally mug the stars because they aren't fast enough to catch them to actually hit them. How all the clutching, hooking, tripping and other moves out of the WWF repertoire became equated with "hitting" mystifies me. This apparently is some people's idea of "old time hockey.":angry: Most of these bozos couldn't lay a clean open ice hit on a player if their life depended on it.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I see no reason why some forth-liner for the Wild should be allowed to waterski behind Lemieux
i agree, maybe its not fair that he is that talented, but he is still allowed in the game. grabbing onto him shouldnt be allowed. theres nothing wrong with hitting anywhere on the ice, but only the man with the puck, no obstruction, this isnt basketball. lemieux and company stand to score many many points this season with these new rules. if the new rules allow the talented players to show off, then i'm all for it, it makes the game more attractive.

CJ

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I doubt my father had even heard of hockey. :)
Actually, we even have a minor league team here in Augusta, the Lynx. We do have a shortage of frozen ponds, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks