What's new

HK320 - Integra 5.2 or Marantz 5200?!?!?!? (1 Viewer)

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all, purchased the Energy Take 5.2 last week, and need a receiver, now!! The Marantz was my top pick, but with all their quality B.S. I just dont feel like the hassle of returning 2 or 3 units to get a 'good' one...or are the issues fixed now?!? Some dealers deny any problems with them, what gives? Anyway, the Integra gets nothing but excellent reviews, and the HK320 seems like a nice unit as well. They all have similiar power and features...any opinions on which one would drive the Energys the best? Of course no dealers have even two out of the three together to listen to! Thanks:D

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I had the 6200 and already went through that hassle - 3 units.

I spoke with two different Marantz repair reps, one in Canada and one in the US. Both of them said the problems have been fixed on the line, but I told them that I was concerned about getting an old unit. They advised me to wait about a month to be sure. So, looks like March 1st I'll finally (hopefully) have a flawless Marantz receiver.

Just in case, I'd recommend you buy from a place that has a decent return policy.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I second ChrisAG's suggestion. If you're not in a hurry, take your time and listen to all three and try to make as accurate an evaluation as possible. If you go the Marantz route, definitely use an authorized B&M dealer as it will facillitate any potential return hassles. I just placed an order for the H/K 320 this afternoon myself, so if you wait a bit, I will post my findings sometime next week--should be getting the receiver on Monday. If not for the fact that I got a sweetheart deal on the H/K and my inability to talk my local Marantz guy down enough, plus the recent QC problems, I would have loved to go with a 5200/6200--they are beautiful sounding receivers.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
i have had the AVR320 for two weeks now and i couldn't imagine a better receiver for $620 (onecall.com).

All H/K receivers can drive almost all speakers; i know somebody with an older H/K who drives four mains at a time, at about a 3.6Ohm load. never clips or overheats.

Oh yeah, and all H/K equipment is very sexy!

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Peter, what are you driving your 320 with? I can't wait for mine to arrive! Would love to hear more about your thoughts on the 320 in the meanwhile...

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
what am i driving it with or what i am i driving with it?

anyway, i have a Panasonic RP56 DVD player connected via optical and an RCA hifi VCR via, well, RCA.

I could detect just the faintest hint of difference between using RCA and optical for the RP56's sound while playing music. The optical sounds just a tad better.

I drive some old Infinity Sterling 2002s with the 320. Looking to DIY(or DIM) some new mains.

Nick L

Second Unit
I also have a H/K 320. I love it! It has plenty of power for my psb speakers and sounds just great. I can not imagine a better reciever for what I paid for it. The remote takes some getting used to but is very functional and logic 7 is just amazing! It walks all over DPL2 on most PL movies.

I think you'll really enjoy your 320.

Nick L

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Peter, the reason it sounds better with the optical is because your RP56 is not doing the digital-to-analog conversion for music. The bitstream is passed to the 320's DAC, which I'm sure is much better than the one in the RP56. I have the RP56 too, but use a dedicated NAD for my 2 channel music. I wouldn't bother connecting the RCAs from the RP56 to the 320...

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, i know...

i wasn't trying to suggest i was mystified by the slight difference. just some people like the sound of the DAC in their CD player more than the DAC in their receiver.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I just got an AVR320 also for my system. It replaces an AVR-7000

I tried to sell my Carver 705x (thx) which is brand new and no one took it, so I'm going to use it outboard of the 320 and for the other two channels (7.1)(125 watts x 5)

I got the best deal in town,(even better than the One Call deal) e-mail me privately if you want the source.

I can't wait to hook all this hardware up.

John Casler

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have a guess on who has the strongest power supply between the Onkyo 696(100 watts) or the Integra 5.2(80 watts)...just a thought. Really want the Marantz, but why cant they release an offical statement or have a easy-fix recall (hey, Ford did it for millions of tires!!) Thanks-Mike:)

Users who are viewing this thread