What's new

HK vs. Lexicon: what are the Logic 7 differences? (1 Viewer)

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Greg:

"Do people actually use Logic 7 when watching a DVD encoded with DD5.1?"

The quick answer is YES. If you scan the threads for the past week or so, you will see numerous Lexicon MC1/DC1 discussions - primarily (if not soley) due to Lexicon's Logic 7 processing.

Ricky,

Sell your MC1 while you can - the 8000 seems like it just made the top of the hit parade, L7 + very nice amps and oodles of other features as well.

Rich B.

Al_Reb

Agent
As another owner of an H/K AVR 8000, I have to agree with Greg. It does do as he has stated. I only checked a hand full of DVDs with the Logic 7, most I like the reg. DD & DTS 5.1, but I did find one that I did like with Logic 7 added. Man, I just know I'll get ripped for this, but it was AKIRA, THX mastered. Flame away:)

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running 5 speakers..

The manual states the following:

Quote:

Page 29

'In some cases it is possible to combine surround mode techniques. For example, you may select THX or Logic 7 processing with a Dolby Digital, DTS or analog input source. However, you may not combine DTS-ES 6.1 source material with Logic 7 processing.'

The manual also states:

Page 24

'Note that the Logic 7 modes are not available when either Dolby Digital or DTS Digital soundtracks are in use. See pages 28 and 29 for a complete explanation of the DSP Surround modes.'

Oh well.. Works for me.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Lexicon's Logic 7/full range tower spks wins easily seven days a week and twice on Sunday's with the same components in 5.1. When I hear a 5.1 system, and then hear my 7.2 (two subs) system, I feel I was missing a whole lot with the 5.1 system. The folks that haven't heard a properly set-up Lexicon Logic 7system, owe it to themselves to do so, ASAP.

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Will when you have lexicon logic 7 running can you set your center channel to full range (large speaker). The H/K only allows small speaker. -gh

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Greg...
With Lexicon centre spk setting, you can set the spk at large/small setting at 40hz,80hz, and 120hz.
With the Bass Enhance engaged (7.1), the proper setting is the front/side/rear spks at the large setting (40hz), with the centre at 120hz. The LFE from the centre is directed the side spks. I use a double centre ch spk set-up for that up close (to fill my room) dialog.

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
The 8000 manual says the following with regards bass management for logic 7. Page 28.

Quote:

'Logic 7 adds additional bass enhancement that circulates low frequencies in the 40Hz to 120Hz range to the front and surround speakers to deliver a less localized soundstage that appears broader and wider than when the subwoofer is the sole source of bass energy.

Settings on the 8000 only allow x-over frequencies of 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz and 100Hz.

Needless to say I'm enjoying my H/K and that Harman International Inc. would be shooting themselves in the foot if they offered the full 'Logic 7' implementation (with all of the particulars) on a sister-company product. Plus the H/K 8000 is not software upgradeable, not to my knowledge anyway..-gh

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Greg....
With Lexicon the side spks are the most important when the Bass Enhance feature is engaged with Logic 7. What this does for my system is that is has great balance, powerful, and an even "FLOW" of LFE/bass throughout my listening room. All my spks are run full range with the centre at 120hz (crystal clear).
I'm with you, it's all about how your system sounds in your listening room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks