HK DPR 2005 - Need Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Michael_K_P, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Michael_K_P

Michael_K_P Auditioning

Howdy,

I am in need of some Home Theatre NINJA's.

I recently purchased my first home theatre. I picked up the Polk Audio RM6900 ($500 CDN) and the HK DPR 2005 ($850 CDN). From what I can tell this amp is way too much for these speakers. But, I plan to upgrade to better speakers when I have the room for it.

Here in lies the problem. When I have that new theatre room (1 year) and upgrade my speakers am I going to want a different amp?

I have heard rumors that the new AVR 640 is going to be unbeilievable. For a couple of hundred more is it the better choice?

I have a Sony Grand Wega 42" R-Proj LCD. I plan to upgrade to either a 62" Toshiba DLP or the new 60" Sony XRD.

I have high Def satelite right now and watch mainly movies. Which amp do you brilliant people think is a better fit in the long run?

Thanks !

Michael

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Any idea what speakers you plan to upgrade to? Some speakers seem to really open up when using separates as opposed to a receiver. For instance, many people say this about the B&W 800 series. If you're thinking about something in that range when you upgrade, then even the 640 probably wouldn't be sufficient.

Does the DPR 2005 have pre-outs? If so, you could continue to use it and simply add an amplifier to it when you upgrade.

3. Michael_K_P

Michael_K_P Auditioning

I actually have no idea what speakers I plan on upgrading too. That was going to be my next question. What people would recommend, I do understand that a speaker choice is quite personal. But being able to narrow down to a few product lines would be good.

As for the pre outs.... I think so...

- 3 Digital Outputs (Including 1 Coax on Front Panel Switchable to an Input or Output)

Suggestions on speakers?

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Those aren't pre-outs. Pre-outs would be one rca jack for each speaker.

Do you have a budget for speakers? There are too many good speakers out there to make suggestions without knowing a general budget.

5. Michael_K_P

Michael_K_P Auditioning

I looked at the back of the amp, Looks like it has pre outs. you can go to the Harmankardon website and see it for your self if you desire... Forum won't let me post a link yet... still too new

I would probably spend $2500 - $3000 CDN on speakers but would want to upgrade to the 7.1 capabilities of the amp.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Well, in that range you could look at Ascend Acoustics with 340's up front and 4x 200's in the rear. That would leave you with plenty of money to add a decent sub and amp.

Also, Paradigms are often a favorite of Canadians because they can actually be purchased in Canada so there aren't additional fees. So you might find a local dealer and check out some Paradigms in your range.

7. Michael_K_P

Michael_K_P Auditioning

Will do. You don't think that my current amp will "hack it"??

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Either of the HKs would probably drive the Ascends fine. HKs are known for being very conservative in their ratings, so they'll probably be fine.

9. Michael_K_P

Michael_K_P Auditioning

Should I be concerned that the DRP 2005 does not have HDMI inputs/outputs? Am I screwing myself for future TV's?

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I have seen so many conflicting reports on the HDMI vs. component image-quality issue that it seems like using HDMI could very well be a waste of time. And then factor into this that the HDMI standards seem to change about every six months - what a joke. Then I've read reports where some receivers' HDMI switching systems don't process the HDMI signals properly & don't switch the signals at all.

So I personally wouldn't worry about it.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

double post

12. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

I think it would depend on the speakers you are using. If you have some fairly efficient speakers, the 2005 should have no problem driving them. Even with not so efficient speakers, it should do fine. I use an HK DPR for the preamp section because they make such great preamps. I would probably use the 2005 as a preamp and pick up some decent amps somewhere cheap. Good amps are extremely inexpensive, especially on the used market. For example, I have an HK AVR-80 receiver with main amp inputs (bypasses everything to use it as a power amp) and THX cert. that runs 85 X 3 and 60 X 2 to the rears. I picked it up for only 175 shipped on ebay. As a five channel amp, it works wonderfully, I'm sure as well as the newer HKs. You could pick up something like that and fix any amp problem and also have separate components. You also wouldn't have to worry about selling the 2005 and picking up something else..

13. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

True. But then there's also the issue of the new hi-def DVD players. I'm pretty sure that both formats will only transmit the full resolution via HDMI.

14. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Not entirely true, see this article... -TD

15. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Interesting . . . I hadn't seen that yet. But, unless Toshiba makes a similar announcement, he'd still be out of luck if HD-DVD wins the format battle.

16. Michael_K_P

Michael_K_P Auditioning

So it is safe to say that I should keep my DRP 2005 then.

Does anybody know whether or not the new hi-def dvd players will be backwards compatible?

17. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

True, Seth, but I can't believe the HD-DVD camp wouldn't provide the same functionality in the coming months. If not, they stand to lose the predominantly large market of early HD adopters. Even if they don't, it makes the decision between B-R and HD-DVD that much easier for us early adopters, doesn't it? [​IMG]

I would hang on to your receiver, Michael. The new format DVD players should be backwards compatible, allowing you to play the currently available DVD formats... -TD

18. Richard Beckman

The future will obsolete everything (even us) its just a matter of time.

DPR2005 is fairly powerful and will serve you well with many speaker set-ups.

19. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Just be aware that there may be problems with their amp modules NOT being able to handle 4 ohm loads very well. I've had two give out on me. As far as I can tell, the DPR can not handle 4 ohm loads (looking in the manual).