What's new

HK AVR-520 Question (Newbie warning) (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hello everybody,
I apologize if this has already been asked, but I was unable to find a satisfactory response on this forum. I was considering purchasing a Harman/Kardon AVR-520 from OneCall.com recently because of a really good price. Only one thing concerns me about the unit, and I'm sure it's something that I'm just not understanding correctly...
The 520 is stated to be 7.1 capable, but when I look at the back of the unit, I only see 5 pairs of binding posts. I have heard people describing the "main-ins" on the 520, but I don't understand what they are used for - what does this have to do with anything? Obviously this unit isn't 7.1 ready right out of the box - do you have to buy a separate amp if you want to add two speakers later? I just don't get it.
Granted, I would likely only be using the 520 with a 5.1 speaker setup for a while, but when I decide I want to make the leap to 7.1, what kind of extra hardware would I be looking at buying, and how much would it cost? I hope someone can help me out here, because I am really lost.
P.S. Here is a short list of speaker systems I am considering purchasing - does anyone have any opinions about which would be a good match with the 520, or are all or none of them good... :confused: so many questions...
A) Klipsch Reference Series: RF3-II, RC-3, RS-3, KSW-12
B) Infinity Entra Series: Entra Three, Entra Center, Entra One, Sub
C) Paradigm Performance Series: Phantom, CC-270, ADP-170, PDR-12
I'd be using the system for about 75% HT / 25% Music, and to be perfectly honest I'm not an audiophile - differences in sound are usually just mental to me... BTW the system will be in a relatively large room - maybe 15' wide by 35' long... hard to describe. Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling post and for all your help.
Eric

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Eric,

The 520 is 7.1 capable in terms of processing. In terms of amping you DO need another power source for the extra channels.

The Main Inputs are one of the best features of the 5 series receivers (missing on the new 525). They allow the receiver to be used as a separate amp.

All of your speaker choices are fine IMO. I personally would lean toward the Klipsch in that space.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
You can easily add a 2 channel amp for under $200 on the used market (heck just check ebay as AMC, Adcom, and AudioSource each have amps that can easily be found in this range).

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your help, guys. I think I understand how it works, but I think that rather than waiting and adding more hardware later, I'd rather just get everything in a receiver that can handle everything - i.e. a 6 or 7 amplified-channel receiver. Some others I'd been looking at are:

Denon AVR-1803
Marantz SR-4300 or 5300
Onkyo TX-SR600

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your help, guys. I think I understand how it works, but I think that rather than waiting and adding more hardware later, I'd rather just get everything in a receiver that can handle everything - i.e. a 6 or 7 amplified-channel receiver. Some others I'd been looking at are:

Denon AVR-1803
Marantz SR-4300 or 5300
Onkyo TX-SR600

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
For the difference in price between the 520 and 525, I decided to go with the 525. My girlfriend has been very tolerant of the money I spend on HT, but she doesn't want "another box" (i.e. amp to get 7.1) in the living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks