What's new

Hitchcock on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Having seen the 3D version of "Dial M" I have to say that the process doesn't really add a lot. It's used very conservatively and apart from the scissor stabbing, there's not a whole lot more that's memorable about the use of 3-D in this particular film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw a 3-D reissue of Dial 'M' for Murder at some point during the 1982-1983 revival of interest in the process. The thing I noticed most especially about the director's use of 3-D was not in the things-in-your-face aspects of the production but that fact that the apartment where most of the action takes place seemed ACRES larger than it does in 2-D. Because these are folks living a fairly lavish lifestyle, the more spacious seeming apartment appeared much more logical when watching the movie in 3-D. All of those furniture pieces Hitchcock placed in the foreground seem cramped in 2-D but wildly dimensional in 3-D. I'd love to experience this film again in 3-D.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I like Matt's review. I'd like to see this one in 3D too...That stuff about the apt. makes sense. I does seem a bit cramped in the regular version...Although in London, like in NY, even well off people live in relatively small flats sometimes.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I saw "Dial 'M' for Murder" in 3D last September at the Redford Theater in Detroit. As Matt pointed out, the 3D is used mostly to create a sense of space in the apartment. For most of its running time, it does not so much give the sense of things sticking out of the screen as an extended depth *into* the screen, kind of like a stage play with camera angles. The reaching for scissors effect and the arrangement of elements like lamps and titles in the extreme foreground are the occasional purposeful exceptions.

Regards,

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by MattH.

I saw a 3-D reissue of Dial 'M' for Murder at some point during the 1982-1983 revival of interest in the process. The thing I noticed most especially about the director's use of 3-D was not in the things-in-your-face aspects of the production but that fact that the apartment where most of the action takes place seemed ACRES larger than it does in 2-D. Because these are folks living a fairly lavish lifestyle, the more spacious seeming apartment appeared much more logical when watching the movie in 3-D. All of those furniture pieces Hitchcock placed in the foreground seem cramped in 2-D but wildly dimensional in 3-D. I'd love to experience this film again in 3-D.
I was at the 3-D Film Festival in Hollywood in 2003 where I saw this and six of the other classic 1950s 3-D features in true, polarized 3-D. My sentiments echo yours, and I'd buy a 3-D BD of this in a second.

After the debacles of Out of Africa and Gladiator (a Paramount release with a master supplied by Universal), which are Best Picture Oscar Winners for crying out loud, should we be worried about the quality of the eventual Hitchcock BDs?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by MatthewA

I was at the 3-D Film Festival in Hollywood in 2003 where I saw this and six of the other classic 1950s 3-D features in true, polarized 3-D. My sentiments echo yours, and I'd buy a 3-D BD of this in a second.

After the debacles of Out of Africa and Gladiator (a Paramount release with a master supplied by Universal), which are Best Picture Oscar Winners for crying out loud, should we be worried about the quality of the eventual Hitchcock BDs?
As a big Hitchcock fan, it's distressing to me to how many of his titles are owned by Universal. Even with RAH's measured and diplomatic words about their operation, I'd say there's trouble in river city...

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
The last time I spoke to someone at WB (November), there were no plans to release DIAL 'M' on BD. There is a French BD coming out from what I understand.'

Hitchcock had nothing to do with the film's flat engagements. During its premiere, it was found that running the film flat was drawing better than in 3D (sync problems were keeping patrons away from theaters). WB decided to drop the 3D angle, although it was still available for booking that way. It was almost unanimously played flat in 1954, but there are a few theaters I've run across advertisements for playing it in 3D.

Unfortunately to some, it is ok to glance over little facts like that.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
your facts keep getting in the way of the autruth, Jack.

Better not post that info at that other forum, facts are nasty business over there. ;)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Everybody's an "expert." Also, the oft-printed statement that Hitch did 3D against his will is bunk— paperwork at USC on the film shows he was very enthusiastic about shooting in the new format.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by benbess

As a big Hitchcock fan, it's distressing to me to how many of his titles are owned by Universal. Even with RAH's measured and diplomatic words about their operation, I'd say there's trouble in river city...

Tell me about it. I assumed they would be forced to remaster "Spartacus" because of that studio fire that destroyed many of the existing telecine masters and release prints in the vault. Regretfully, that's one of the ones that survived.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd bump this thread.

I'd be curious to see what we have on blu ray so far: And is coming.

These are the titles I know of. What else?

1. North By Northwest

2. Psycho (UK now and US in October)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Vertigo is the other one I want to see! And if Mr. Harris is involved, that would be even better!

I'd also like to see Rear Window, The Birds, Dial M for Murder and the Selznick films, Notorious, Spellbound and Rebecca. And To Catch a Thief of course!

I've seen other sites mention these titles as well as a lot of the older ones like Strangers on a Train and Lifeboat.

Didn't know about The 39 Steps in the UK!

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Universal probably wants to wait and see how well Psycho will be doing on Blu-ray. I can't imagine that it won't do well, since it looks to be a great disc, so we can probably look forward to more Hitchcock on BD.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
DVD Beaver has its review of the UK Blu-Ray of "Psycho" up, with screen shots. The reviewer said it should be the same transfer as the US vesrion. He also had some discussion with Robert Harris about it, and says both agree it looks fabulous:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/psycho.htm

Though it is framed at 1.85. There was some discussion here somewhere that the proper aspect ratio for "Psycho" is 1.78.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
1.85:1 and 1.78:1 are basically interchangeable when it comes to home video releases. Most studios don't even recognize them as different aspect ratios. Same with 1.33:1 and 1.37:1, or 2.35:1, 2.39:1, and 2.40:1.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Some of those screen grabs from the blu-ray looked like really good black and white prints!

I can imagine what his older films will look like.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Some of those screen grabs from the blu-ray looked like really good black and white prints!

I can imagine what his older films will look like.

Max has recently shown most of the Universal HItchocks in HD. I recorded them and am currently going through them. They look pretty good, but are obviously older masters. TMWKTM is the same master used on the DVDs, with egregious boosted contrast and sharpening. They do look better than the DVDs, obviously, but as I watch them I'm imagining how much better they could look as 1080p BDs from new masters.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks