What's new

Hitchcock on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Psycho, Vertigo and The Birds are pre-orders for me, same as North by Northwest. If I'd seen 39 Steps that might be too, but generally I watch the colour ones more than the b/w ones. Strangers on a Train is prob my favourite b/w aside from Psycho.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the update on The 39 Steps! This one will be released in the US by Criterion at a later date then? I will most likely hold out for a proper release if this is the case.

Very excited about North By Northwest on blu ray! I think that one and the new Star Trek film are the 2 remaining blu ray titles that I am most looking forward to.

This is of course subject to change if MGM would finish the remaining 9 James Bond titles of course...

: )

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton

Thanks for the update on The 39 Steps! This one will be released in the US by Criterion at a later date then? I will most likely hold out for a proper release if this is the case.
"Maybe" is probably the best one can say at this moment. It may very well never happen.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
My hope for the blu of Vertigo concerns 2 things:
1) that they fix the mistake with the color in the opening shots.
2) that they include the original mono audio track (even if it is from a 4th or 5th gen source like the Masterpiece Collection boxset).

If Universal can get those 2 things corrected and give us a fine transfer then it will be a perfect release for me (as I am going to assume all the dvd extras will get ported across)!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Disappointing news on the 39 Steps UK blu ray..

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-39-Steps-Blu-ray-Review/6621/

Edit - Oops. Sorry for the double post...

Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho listed with "no release date" on bluray.com

And yes, terrible news on 39 Steps, or perhaps its good news, in that it means I know not to buy it...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Screenshot comparison between the new The 39 Steps BD (top) and the Criterion SD (bottom) here; click on each image to view full size. No, the ITV DVD disc is not perfect (far from it) - but it appears to be a damn sight better than any SD version I've seen.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Some of Hitchcock's biggest titles - including Rear Window, Psycho and Vertigo - have started appearing on-demand in HD. Hopefully, the blu-ray releases won't be too far behind.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Worth

Some of Hitchcock's biggest titles - including Rear Window, Psycho and Vertigo - have started appearing on-demand in HD. Hopefully, the blu-ray releases won't be too far behind.
Actually, they've been seen on the premium movie channels (can't remember which - Universal HD?) for about a year, or maybe more. If somebody can compare, and they seem to be newer transfers, then I'd take that as evidence of an impending release. Otherwise, I'm more cautious.

Doug

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hopefully the films are coming to blu ray very soon!

North By Northwest looked amazing and the sound was wonderful too.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Psycho will be released on Blu-ray in the Netherlands by Universal, as part of the Hitchcock Collection on April 25th. If it's part of a collection, there's bound to be more to come but I couldn't find more information on that.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on Dial M For Murder? There was an online story at blu ray.com saying that the title may be coming this year.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Dial M for Murder was originally released in 3D, wasn't it? It would make an excellent 3D release now that the Blu-ray 3D spec has been finalized and 3D televisions are available.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by cafink

Dial M for Murder was originally released in 3D, wasn't it? It would make an excellent 3D release now that the Blu-ray 3D spec has been finalized and 3D televisions are available.
Yeah. I don't think Hitch cared for 3D and it's only in a few scenes though.

Hopefully there is some more news on this title and some others in 2010...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks