What's new

Hitchcock on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

adrian1

Grip
Real Name
Adrian
Anyone know if Universal has any plans to release the latest standard-def versions of "Vertigo", "Psycho" & "Rear Window" on Blu-ray down the road? I have the older versions of these films, and would like to get the new remastered versions, but will wait if any Blu-ray plans are in the works. Has anyone heard what Universal's plans are with respect to this issue?

DavePattern

Stunt Coordinator
In the UK, HMV has recently added the following titles as "pre-release" in it's Blu-ray section:

- The Birds
- Torn Curtain
- Family Plot
- Frenzy
- The Man Who Knew Too Much
- Marnie
- Mr and Mrs Smith
- Psycho
- Rear Window
- Rope
- Saboteur
- Shadow of a Doubt
- Topaz
- The Trouble With Harry
- Vertigo
- To Catch a Thief
- North by Northwest
- Strangers on a Train
- Secret Agent
- The 39 Steps

None of the titles have a release date yet.

(thanks to John Hodson for spotting this!)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
North By Northwest is rumored to be restored and released on Blu and SD this year. It's the 50th anniversary, so that would make sense.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think the best chances for BD releases are the following:

Universal:

The Birds
Psycho
Rear Window
Vertigo

These four seem to be the "tentpole" titles from the library that Universal has rights to (which totals 14 films).

Warner:

Dial M for Murder
North by Northwest
Strangers on a Train

Of the Warner owned titles (9 total), these 3 seem to be their most marketable. We already know that North by Northwest is in the pipeline.

Criterion:

The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps

I could see Criterion getting around to these staples from their early DVD days.

Fox:

Notorious
Rebecca
Spellbound

Seeing as how they just released these on DVD only it may be a while.

Paramount:

To Catch a Thief

As their only Hitchcock title it's not out of the realm of possibility. However, Paramount isn't exactly quick to release catalog titles on BD so far.

The titles owned by Lionsgate are too minor to see BD anytime soon.

Also, shouldn't this be on the HD board?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I read that Paramount is having another go at TO CATCH A THIEF as one of its next Centennial Collection releases (along with THE ODD COUPLE). Obviously, these have been remastered in high definition but that doesn't mean they'll see a Blu-ray release any time soon.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Would love to see any and all Hitchcock on Blu-ray. VERTIGO goes to the top of the list. Would love to be able to scrutinize PSYCHO in hi-def. Am eager to see Warner's NORTH BY NORTHWEST. I am also quite partial to SHADOW OF A DOUBT and the original THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, but don't think we'll be seeing those two on Blu-ray anytime soon.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
As I type this, North By Northwest is running right now on the Moviepix HD cable channel here in Canada. If this same transfer makes it's way to Blu-Ray people should be very pleased.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to get very impatient with lack of Hitchcock titles on Blu-ray. Since I haven't heard anything, apart from North By Northwest, I assume no news isn't good news in this particular case.

I guess if I haven't heard anything by the next DD 20% Off sale, I may have to bite the bullet on some of the new SD editions. Rest assured that as soon as I do that BDs will be announced soon after. :frowning:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I thought so, too, when I sprang for the new VERTIGO, but I just had to get rid of that nonanamorphic original DVD. So far, nothing, however. I wish Universal would dip its toes in with just one of these titles.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Vertigo and Rear Window probably need a new restoration anyway. I think (well, hope) Universal will wait how the North By Northwest restoration will turn out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm just hoping Uni does these titles justice and not release some "barely acceptable" transfer of an old master done for DVD. I'd rather wait for a product done right than have something rushed to the market for the sake of having something out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd love to see "Dial M For Murder" on Blu-ray.... with the 3-D version included as a bonus feature. Yeah, home anaglyph viewing isn't exactly state of the art, but it would be cool to have and I'd certainly watch it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Not sure why Paramount isn't jumping at the chance to release To Catch a Thief since it looks like according to the DVDbeaver the new Cent. Edition is so much better looking than the two prev DVD editions...

Same for all the Cent collection sets for sure... I want to own those so bad but I don't like double dipping so I will wait until the eventual BD releases.

here is the DVD beaver review for To Catch a Theif though the dvd screen grabs for the new edition looks good.. so a BD would be great.

To Catch a Thief - Grace Kelly Cary Grant

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yeah, if it can be assumed the excellent DVD master originated from an excellent 1080p master (or 2K), it seems like a wasted opportunity to put out a BluRay.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I'm brand new to Blu-Ray discs - I have over 2,000 DVDs and my new Sony 550 Blu-Ray player, and 10 discs (!), arrive tomorrow. Next week I get my nice new 58" Panasonic Viera plasma set.

I'm not bragging (actually, the cost of this is depressing me even as I type these words). My question is, on older films such as the Hitchcock classics, how much of a boost do they get from Blu-Ray over DVD? Is the difference really night-and-day? What other films are out there that might suggest how much of an improvement I might experience? The Searchers? Any others?

I do NOT want to repurchase my whole collection. I don't. Really. But I will repurchase classics that are worth the upgrade and would be very curious as to your experience in upgrading older films.

Thanks,
Stu

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mileage will vary according to which film you're looking at and which studio did the transfer.

THE SEARCHERS? Undoubtedly.

HOW THE WEST WAS WON? Without a doubt.

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD? Stupendous.

PINOCCHIO? Breathtaking.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
That's helpful. Overall, what is the difference I'd see? Clarity, sharpness? Isn't the improvement a function in part of the source material? Other than big projects like The Searchers restoration, will an average older film be noticeably improved (that is, worth the $$$ in upgrading)?

While my goal is to avoid The Dreaded Repurchase of My Collection, I'm perfectly fine about upgrading truly classic films where it's worth the $$$.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks