What's new

Hitchcock fans-help! (1 Viewer)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Wow, there are a lot of Hitchcock fans here! Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments. After reading the new posts, I just had to add a few more of your suggestions to my Link Removed
Here's the list...hope I didn't forget anything:
Birds, The (Universal)
Frenzy (Universal)
Man Who Knew Too Much, The (1956) (Universal)
Psycho (Universal)
Rear Window (Universal)
Rope (Universal)
Saboteur (Universal)
Shadow of a Doubt (Universal)
Trouble With Harry, The (Universal)
Vertigo (Universal)
North by Northwest (Warner)
Strangers on a Train (Warner)
39 Steps, The (Criterion)
Lady Vanishes, The (Criterion)
Notorious (Criterion)
Rebecca (Criterion)
...and I'll keep my eyes open for deals on the LaserLight box sets as I add the above DVDs.
Looks like 3/6/2001 was a great day for Hitchcock fans. When I was entering these DVDs into my database I noticed that a lot of good stuff was released on that day.
Thanks again everyone, all the replies were very helpful. These should keep on on the edge on my seat for quite some time! :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Dial M For Murder is being restored and will be on DVD soon.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith probably needs a good bit of restoration. The print I saw on TCM looked dark and worn.

Don't get The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) yet. Universal is having it restored by Cinesite...in the Cineon digital restoration process. This isn't a DVD restoration, this is actually a full scale for film restoration (according to American Cinematographer)

MatS

Screenwriter
my Hitch collection:

Vertigo

Rear Window

Frenzy

The Trouble With Harry

North By Northwest

looking forward to the eventual release of Dial M For Murder

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Sweet news about The Man Who Knew Too Much, Patrick.

Are you sure its the Jimmy Stewart version, as the dvd of that looks stellar.

--------

I go with most of the reccomendations above, although I bought the two Universal 8 disc boxes last year as a treat for myself. Broke the bank, but good stuff.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
A great way to start is to purchase Universal's boxset with Vertigo, Psycho and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. You get 2 superb Hitchcock films and a DVD with 4 T.V. episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

From there on, it makes sense to purchase the individual films as suggested in the posts above.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just as a reference, the title of the 1958 Hitchcock film starring James Stewart and Kim Novak is ---

"Vertigo"

not Vertigo

Assuredly a small thing, but as Hitch was want to say, even the smallest murder might eventually lead to other improprieties or social incivilities such as tardiness or procrastination. Why not catch it in the bud, before it gets out of control.

RAH

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Just as a reference, the title of the 1958 Hitchcock film starring James Stewart and Kim Novak is ---
"Vertigo"
not Vertigo
Fair enough, Robert, but do you promise to make "finger quotes" when you say the title the next time it comes up in an interview? ;)
(Ken pictures a freezing Mssrs. Harris & Katz standing in the cold near the San Francisco Bay for the AMC documentary having to raise their hands in the air and make quote signs with two fingers at each mention of the title and giggles to himself immaturely)
Regards,

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Sweet news about The Man Who Knew Too Much, Patrick.

Are you sure its the Jimmy Stewart version, as the dvd of that looks stellar.
Say what? To my eyes THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956), the Jimmy Stewart one, didn't look too good and could really use a good film restoration like REAR WINDOW or VERTIGO got. Not that it was horrible considering its age, but I would never characterize it as "stellar." So news of a restoration in the works is welcome.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Almost entirely off topic, but I've just picked up Rear Window this afternoon, based on discussions, reviews and this thread being the catalyst for my desire to watch and own it. I already own Psycho, "Vertigo", North by Northwest, Strangers on a Train and Notorious : CC (after Robert Harris' approval in this thread). I can certainly vouch for their quality as films.
I plan to watch Rear Window for the first time tonight.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Ken-
I wasn't "quibbling" pre se. I was merely stating
what I have heard from Hitchcock himself on audio
tapes and on video taped interviews: that he did not feel
that Rebecca was a "Hitchcock" picture.
I love it, and certainly see it as a "Hitchcock" picture,
but for a person new to Hitchcock, John St might
find it interesting to know which films within his
body of work Hitchcock thought most represented his
style.
Also, John St,
Just as an FYI: Robert Harris,
the gentleman who mentioned "Vertigo"
with quotemarks
is one of the guys who restored Rear Window
and "Vertigo", and is featured in the
commentary track on the latter, and the
restorarion documentaries on both.
He also restored Lawrence of Arabia with
David Lean's involvment, My Fair Lady
(for which he appears on the commentary track),
Spartacus and more that I am forgetting.
He also was a producer on the one of the best film
noir movies made in the last 12 years: The Grifters.
We're very lucky to have him posting on this forum.
Mark

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
The Movie i heard that Universal is restoring for a theatrical re-release is Shadow of a Doubt. Now ive seen other's say trouble with harry is his favorite film. But everything i read Hitch says that SOAD is by far his favorite movie. There is even a documentary titled SOAD hitchocks favorite. I dunno maybe im reading to much into this. :)

Brendon

Second Unit
Scott_MacD,

Watching Rear Window for the first time huh ?

How I envy you!

You're in for a treat...!

Bren

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
One of my favorite shots in any Hitchcock film is the one of Raymond Burr smoking in the dark from Rear Window. Of course, ahem, the Grace Kelly closeup and subsequent kiss that introduce her are impressive in their own right. The DVD does them justice moreso than any video version has, but it was a great privilege to see the film on the big screen at the Detroit Film Theater. I wish that had been my first time seeing it, but it was for my wife and the friends with whom we attended so I at least had the vicarious thrill.
Experiences like that are the reason we should be thankful for the work of people like Robert Harris, James Katz, Kevin Brownlow, Scott MacQueen, Grover Crisp, and other restorationsist, preservatonists, and archivists, as well as those folks who are foresighted enough to fund their work. Of course, now that most studios have come around as far as protecting their assets, the next step is to convince them to display more of them on the big screen. When is that 70mm 2001 playing in Detroit, WB?:)
Regards,

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Aryn Leroux-
I have a DVD called A Talk With Hitchcock
in which the Master of Suspense is interviewed,
and he does, indeed, state that he thinks
Shadow of a Doubt is the best film
he made.
The documentary-interview looks to have been shot
about the time he was finishing up Frenzy,
so it stands to reason that his opinion had been
crystalized for some time by the time the interview
was shot.
-Mark

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
"Aryn Leroux-

I have a DVD called A Talk With Hitchock

in which the master of suspense is interviewed,

and he does, indeed, state that he thinks

Shadow of a Doubt is the best film

he made."

I have no doubt that you are correct. I recall seeing him on TV saying that "The Trouble With Harry" was his FAVORITE film. He did not use the word "BEST".

Of course he could have been subject to changing his mind like the rest of us.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I'm not quite sure how to put this without sounding like I'm gushing, but Rear Window was a stunning film. Meticulously crafted, touching, and a genuine masterpiece. Comparisons to other Hitchcock films are pretty moot until the movie settles down in my head. However, in my mind, the film is close to the ingenious "Vertigo" with respect to filmmaking craft.
Experiences like that are the reason we should be thankful for the work of people like Robert Harris, James Katz, Kevin Brownlow, Scott MacQueen, Grover Crisp, and other restorationsist, preservatonists, and archivists, as well as those folks who are foresighted enough to fund their work.
Amen to that, I have the highest respect for those who preserve important works of seminal art. A simple, "Thank you!" goes to Robert Harris and James Katz for allowing me to enjoy Rear Window as intended.

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Slightly off-topic, but I wish Universal would release a box set or sell individually the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes now. It would allow them to have their cake and eat it, too, as they probably were able to get a substantial number of people to rebuy titles and buy box sets to get them all. For those of us out there who bought titles individually and are unwilling to scour ebay for them, I think Universal would do well. From even just a pure profit perspective, it seems unwise for them to let those volumes be bought and sold for above market price in the secondary market when they still own the rights and could press more and cut themselves in on the deal.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Russ-
I agree FULLY: Universal should release
a boxed set of all the Alfred Hithcock Presents
that the master himself directed, at the very least.
Mark

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Re:

Ken "McAlinden's" query about "finger quotes" during interviews...

The answer is "always."

And our thanks for the reminder of that 38 degree morning at the bridge for something like 40 takes of the documentary intro.

I was neither prepared for precisely THAT continuously drizzly weather nor for the numerous takes necessitated by everything from problematic background action (a submarine going by), noise (an infestation of seals) and a large group who arrived to offer a friend's ashes to the waters. We do however, have a rather amusing outtake roll. JCK was smart enough to be prepared with proper clothing.

HTF continues to be the forum on the web discussing DVDs with the greatest number of members with a formal education and the fewest number of postings requesting information as to whether a specific title will EVER make it to DVD. I will occasionally answer these queries with a simple "no," which hopefully confuses the issue. To all involved -- keep up the good work.

RAH

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, if we're going to be picky :)
I have a Vertigo poster hanging up in my living room at the moment and it actually says 'Vertigo' with single quotes, not "Vertigo" with double quotes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks