What's new

Hitachi 57SWX questions? This a good deal in Chicago? (1 Viewer)

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
Before I take the plunge on a tv for my upcoming apartment, I wanted to get some advice.

Let me describe the setup with a layout. This top side faces west. Both the West and South walls are floor to ceiling glass (forget about light control).

The tv will probably be driven by an HTPC since I've got a spare 1ghz computer with an ATI AIW 64mb, Pioneer slot DVD, and an M-Audio Revo. The rest of the sound equipment list is: HK525, Polk LSi15/15/C, Parasound 2205/1500, Adire Maelstrom, BFD (purchased except the LSis).

1. So the main viewing area will be about 11-12 ft from the front of the screen. For a combination of SD, HD, DVD will 57" be an appropriate size? I tried this at Circuit City but SD looked shockingly horrible at any distance.

2. Circuit City's current promotion is $2599.99 plus a free $200 gift card on another purchase and free delivery. Is this a good deal? I asked about a better deal with cash, etc and got nowhere except "well, if you find a better deal we price match." The nearest competitor I've found to beat them is American TV at $2499.99 40 miles away in another state. Can I even try to price match since they offer no $200 gift card? I don't move in til July 1, so delivery will be delayed in any case.

3. There also is an open box for $2089.97 and another for $1939.97. Should I even consider these? They were both on display now with contrast set to 100 and everything else is set to 50. I don't know if they were demo's or customer returns. They have full warranty.

4. The 2 year extended warranty is $299 and has been discussed elsewhere on the forum as being decent. Should I get it? I'm inclined not to at the moment.

5. Is there a removable screen on the SWX? Should I consider removing it with this setup and all the windows? I have no pets or kids.

6. Are there a lot of DIY tweaks for the SWX I can view on the forums with membership? What would you recommend? Is Avia good for this set? I'd like to get it as good as I can without ISF, at least for now.

7. Should I worry about equipment fading with the direct sun? TV, black leather couches, speakers, etc.

8. I've read conflicting posts about relative reliability. The Hitachi and Mits seem to be the best from reading here, though I'm not trying to start up a post war about it. Consumer Reports is quoted as rating Hits best, but there are also posts about an issue that can't be repaired? Is there anything I should be worried about?

9. I have not researched HD here yet. I know the building comes with cable. I also have a clear view of the Hancock's antennas less than two blocks away through the big west glass wall, so maybe I can get OTA? If you have any hints, please chime in. When I find out more about the cable service I'll probably visit the specific forum for this.

10. Are there any other tv's you can recommend for me? The other main competition I've considered for this is the 50" Samsung DLP (more expensive) which would be brighter or an upcoming Mitsubishi 55" with DVI after August (slightly more expensive, but with integrated HD rec/firewire).

11. Should I consider the 57UWX at CC for 2099.96 with free $200 gift card plus free shipping instead?

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
Any thoughts on the upcoming 57S500 from Hitachi? How long would I have to wait to see if its worth getting the new model instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks