What's new

Hitachi 50V500 or Panny PT50LC13, or Samsung HLN507 (1 Viewer)

ChrisRk

Auditioning
Ok, in case people were wondering, I called Hitachi and asked them if the xV500's were HDCP compliant, and the answer is no. I guess I need to learn more about HDCP before I can decide if this would deter me from buying this set.

ChrisRk

Auditioning
Someone over at AVS Forum just told me that in the manual it specifically says that it is HDCP compliant.

His quote: "If you read the manual on page 18 in the "Notes" section it says, "2. The DVI-HDTV input on INPUT 1 containst the copy protection system called High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). HDCP is a...."

So apparently the Hitachi rep that I talked to got it wrong.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
This may be a dumb question, but why would the fact that one of the component inputs is shared with the DVI mean that there was no direct digital path for the DVI? You think the DVI input is coverting the signal to analog before display?
Sharing the digital input with an analog one most likely means that the signal throught the DVI port goes through Hitachi's upconversion. Thus you cant input a 1366X768(I think thats its native rez) signal & get 1:1 pixel mapping.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sharing the digital input with an analog one most likely means that the signal throught the DVI port goes through Hitachi's upconversion. Thus you cant input a 1366X768(I think thats its native rez) signal & get 1:1 pixel mapping.
Ummm, so what as long as it's not converting the digital signal into analog and then back for some stupid reason??

If you feed anything not native res, of course, the TV will convert to native res first. If you feed it native res digitally, then the circuitry shouldn't do anything to degrade the image transfered.

What exactly makes you think you won't get 1:1 pixel mapping when the signal is digital?? I can understand if you're feeding an analog signal, but digital?? Even if the digital signal always passes through the upconverter, it shouldn't be a problem for the upconverter to recognize native res and do 1:1 mapping, no?

Obviously, it's possible that Hitachi may do something crazy/stupid that degrades the digital source, but why make such an assumption? Is there widespread precedence amongst digital displays to justify this thinking? Remember, we're talking about the digital signal, not analog, in native res.

With analog, a number of things can happen to prevent 1:1 mapping. For example, the A->D converter might not yield native res, perhaps, as a cost cutting decision.

_Man_

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
I have look at the Hitachi and the Panasonic side by side twice and I have found (with CC's material) the Hitachi has sharper video orginated material (sports etc.) and text than the Panasonic. What I don't likw about both is the color and those speakers!

Someone else suggested a saw. I'm wondering would a blade designed for laminates make the best cut? Also, should I use flat black or a satin spray paint for the color??

Why is it TV manufactures are switching from black to silver (uck, very distracting) and computer monitor manufactures are switching to black! Am I missing something here??

(BTW, I was kidding about the saw, not sure about the paint!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks