What's new

Hip Hop and You Don't Stop.... Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash coming to DVD-A.... (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
According to today's Musictap, The Greatest Hits of Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel and The Furious 5 and The Best of The Sugarhill Gang will be coming to DVD-A May 25th.

These should be great multichannel party albums (especially Sugar Hill Gang), and may even turn on a few friends to Hi-res once they hear you bang bang the boogie.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I would have thought more people would be interested in these discs. I already own both on CD, and can't wait to get the Hi-res multichannel mixes.

Sugar Hill is just good old fun hip hop, and Grandmaster Flash Mellie Mel and The Furious Five is wrap that actually has a message and meaning to the lyrics unlike a lot of today's mainstream offerings.

j

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i swear ... to this day, if i'm eating at a friend's house and the food is crappy, i think of this song. :emoji_thumbsup:

didn't these guys do "white lines" too? i have ... errr ... "vauge" memories of that song too. ;)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, those sound SWEET. :emoji_thumbsup:

I hope that Rapper's Delight is going to be the 15 minute or so version of the song. :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
tony, how the hell do you know about the fifteen minute version -- you young whipper-snapper! :D

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to hear this stuff is coming out in the new format. I can't stand contemporary rap music, but these guys, the pioneers of the genre, were incredible. Tks for the info.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Was checking on these titles at Rhino & got a scare: look at the cover for the Grandmaster Flash dvd-audio & tell me what OTHER dvd-audio company's label looks like that? Gawd I hope THAT label has nothing to do with this release.

The Sugar Hill dvd-audio looks O.K. though.

Cduniverse.com has release dates of August 24 for both titles.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to hear that these are still planned for release! :emoji_thumbsup:

Any word on what version of Rapper's Delight will be on the Sugarhill DVD-A? I hope that it's the 15 minute version. :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder that these titles come out today.

And Rhino emailed me & said they are true multichannel recordings made from the multitrack tapes. :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Lance. I forgot these releases were on the way, as most Hi-res releses these days seem to be delayed. I wiill keep my eye out for them locally.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks