What's new

Hildi Santo-Tomas still must be stopped!!! (1 Viewer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I kind of wonder why they turn off the camera for "homework". It seems it would be interesting footage to see the homeowners cranking out stuff into the wee hours without the designer around. I mean surely, TLC could pay a cameraman to stick around at night to film stuff? Or they should just give a video camera to the homeowners to document their experience at night.

Changing rooms never did this but they only have a half an hour to work with.

Trading Spaces on the other hand, always seems to try and add silly staged stuff to fill the hour, like some of the cheesy designer stuff in the beginning.

I'd much rather see what was going on at 10 pm than some of the other filler they show.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Did you witness the abomination that Doug put together this week? He must be competing for worst room design ever. He turned a bedroon into a prison cell.

I kept waiting for someone to say "April Fools!". :confused:

Still it was better than gluing straw to the walls of a living room. Sorry Doug, you still take second place.

Brad

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I kind of wonder why they turn off the camera for "homework". It seems it would be interesting footage to see the homeowners cranking out stuff into the wee hours without the designer around. I mean surely, TLC could pay a cameraman to stick around at night to film stuff? Or they should just give a video camera to the homeowners to document their experience at night.
I strongly suspect that some of the homeowners have some personal friends come over and help with homework.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Still it was better than gluing straw to the walls of a living room. Sorry Doug, you still take second place.
I'm assuming you missed the first episode on Saturday night... the new designer Rick has to take 2nd place hands down. Rick's living room was so bad, I half-expected the homeowner to say "I've gone color-blind!!" before disolving into a fit of tears. She did manage not to cry (barely), but it was so horrible. Only in a Moroccan design can tangerine coexist with lapis lazuli.

Rick's second design was within the stratosphere, but no way near a 'Vern'.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Well, no matter what complaints are aimed at Hildi, I would rather have Hildi then any of the amature, no talent, expressionless people they have on the Canadian version.

Can't remember what they call it, but it started out with a 1k $CAD budget, a boring host, and even designers that are even less exciting. Camera and lighting were like something from a late night cable production. Now they have bosted the budget to 1500 CAD$, and things are looking a little better, but still little talent on the show

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Interesting, I saw what must have been one of Hildi's first episodes the other day. Alex was still the host and Hildi was still called and credited as Hlida Santo-Tomas. She was much less bossy and seemed less sure of herself. For a minute during their talk about the room, I amost thought she cared about how it turned out and whether the people liked it.

Then over the weekend on Discover HD I saw the episode where she put down black foam rubber sheets as a finish flooring material and there was the good old Hildi I remember.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Did anyone catch Alex McLeod on the view today? My wife told me that she is trying out for a spot as host. Apparently Alex hinted that she left TS, not that she was asked to leave. Anyone else catch this? My wife also said that Alex and Star Jones had some terse words for each other. I still miss Alex on TS!!

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I liked Alex, but there is no way anyone will ever convince me that she left TS truly voluntarily. In addition to Paige, the start of the second season brought a new editing style, new music and very different attitudes from the designers, clearly they did some looking at just about every aspect of the show to "punch" it up. Also, having watched the Alex ep recently, I definitely beleive Paige has a better personality for the show.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I strongly suspect that some of the homeowners have some personal friends come over and help with homework.
From what I understand, it's because 1: Sometimes the designers stick around till midnight or later helping out, 2: So they don't have to pay the cameramen, and carpenters past 5pm.

Chris

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
And she retains her championship status as Queen of Insane Design!!

In the Atlanta: Highlands Trace show, aired 12/13, she covered an entire room in cardboard. Walls, ceiling... she even brought over cardboard furniture from Paris! :thumbsdown: The only thing salvageable in the room was the great bed that Ty made (side note: how many Ty episodes are left since he quit the show?) Hildi compounded her error by using Liquid Nails adhesive to stick the cardboard to the walls/ceiling, which is almost impossible to get off without ruining the drywall.

It was a wonder of tastelessness to behold. :frowning:

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I agree, they really need to fire her.. problem is, she gets ratings.

How horrible must it feel when your friend gets a gorgeous room like the one Frank did and you get stuck with fricken CARDBOARD.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Outrageous!!! And how about last week with the feathers? I didn't get to see that one, but I saw the promos. Dreadful!! Cardboard is a new low though. She really does have to be stopped. I wonder if they have had any people refuse to let her design their room. My wife and I agree that we would drop out if she were assigned to design our room.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
This show has certainly run its course now that they are advertising her insipid designs. I thought the show was desinged to be a fun way for people to get cheap redecorating ideas. But if she's going to purposefully do outrageous designs just to get ratings, then the show is no longer useful.

Putting carboard on the walls doesn't even qualify as an example of what not to do since no one is sitting around their house thinking, "Cardboard would look good in here."

John Madia

Second Unit
I know all the designers love to use candles but are they really a good idea in a room covered with cardboard?

You might want to check out TS: Family instead. The new host/carpenter are comfortable in their position now and the show seems fresher.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I almost think they're HOPING a couple will up and rebel against Hildi and catch it on tape. It's got to be the only reason.

Hell, i'm contemplating signing up just for the hopes I get to tell her crazy ass that she is, in fact, crazy.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I think the reason Hildi goes all out is that she doesn't give a flying f*ck. She's married to an incredibly wealthy Frenchman... she doesn't need what little the show pays her. She just revels in coming up with the most out of this world design she can inflict upon the poor unsuspecting homeowners. I could definitely see people refusing to participate if they found out that Hildi was to be their designer.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I have a suspicion that the cardboard room would violate many a fire code. Would the show pay for it's removal if an inspector came in and said "no friggin way!"

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Yet further proof that the woman is on crack.

And letting her loose to do stuff like this just brings down the entire show. Isn't the point is to come up with a cool and enjoyable result on a limited budget? How is cardboard (or feathers) in ANY way desirable?

Jeezuz. I'd love to be on that show. But I'd never sign up for fear of getting her!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I have a suspicion that the cardboard room would violate many a fire code. Would the show pay for it's removal if an inspector came in and said "no friggin way!"
I seriously doubt that the room was a violation of any fire codes anywhere in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks