What's new

Highway to Heaven - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Considering this is a Mill Creek release, I would be inclined to just wait several months to a year for the price to tumble to dump bin prices.

Mill Creek's stuff seems to become bargain bin fodder relatively quickly.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
ouch - i take it that this is not expected to be any sort of quality release ??

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hard to say for sure, without comparing the Mill Creek releases to the older A&E versions.

But with Mill Creek's reputation, it wouldn't be too surprising to see quality degradation in favor of lower prices.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i went over to amazon - mill creek already has seasons 1-4 out.

the reviews of season 1 talk about syndicated versions.

i think i will wait to get this on blu-ray.

blu-ray releases seem to be quality releases, for the most part.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jimmyjet said:

blu-ray releases seem to be quality releases, for the most part.
The question is whether there is a large enough hardcore Michael Landon fanbase and/or spillover from the "Little House on the Prairie" customer base, to justify the costs of doing an extensive hd restoration for releasing "Highway to Heaven" on bluray.

(Lionsgate seems to think this is the case for Little House. But "Highway to Heaven" is not "Little House on the Prairie").

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The reviews you read were for the original S1 release from A&E. For some reason amazon just lumps everything together and doesn't separate them by product, I really dislike this and hope they will look into this at some point and correct it?!

The Mill Creek releases are a bit of a crapshoot, not sure why exactly but here is the status for each season:

Season 1- Uncut episodes
Season 2- Edited episodes
Season 3- All but three episodes are uncut
Season 4 & 5 - Unknown

I have not been able to find out whether season 4 contains uncut episodes, no comments or reviews from anyone anywhere?! Also note, season 4 and 5 are new releases, they have never been released in North America before.
What makes you think this will be released on blu-ray?! I don't think you will even see it re-released again on DVD let alone a blu-ray release. I believe that only the top tier shows (hugely popular with large fan bases) will see blu-ray releases.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
it was a fairly popular show and a good one

we will have a quality release of this show for the same reasons i have stated before about other shows, and do not intend to get into another discussion about it.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
What are the Region 2 Revelation sets from Amazon (UK), like,.anyone know? Are they complete and uncut?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have order S5 as I already own S1-S4. It gets very frustrated to see complete series release when people like myself by the individual sets!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
younger1968 said:
I have order S5 as I already own S1-S4. It gets very frustrated to see complete series release when people like myself by the individual sets!
Is season 4 unedited? Runtimes of the episodes?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
TV_Fan said:
Is season 4 unedited? Runtimes of the episodes?
I am not one that goes into great details to see if something has been edited and/or music has been cut. I am more concern with the quality, i.e. picture or sound. Many shows like Highway to Heave have not been remastered as such on the new TVs the quality can look poor!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
if i know ahead of time, i wont buy an edited show.

i would probably wait for a better pq release, but would at least contemplate on making the purchase.

much would depend on how much i liked the show.

with hth, i am waiting - cuz i like it a lot.

with a show that was only so-so, i would probably buy with only a so-so pq, but not buy again if they came out with a better pq.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've had season 4 since release, but it was put away for a Christmas present so I can't provide any run-times.

For the $10 or so it was going for at Wal-Mart, at least it's a small risk if it ends up being the syndicated versions (The only way I've ever seen Highway to Heaven aired on tv.).
younger1968 said:
I am not one that goes into great details to see if something has been edited and/or music has been cut. I am more concern with the quality, i.e. picture or sound. Many shows like Highway to Heave have not been remastered as such on the new TVs the quality can look poor!
Many DVD players show the run-time as the episode plays. You don't need to be intimately familiar with how the show first ran or be watching closely for any tell-tale signs of edits after the fact having been done.

Just the length of an episode or two would be a good starting point to give those curious of the situation here something to go off of, if you feel like checking next time you pop one of the discs in.

younger1968 said:

Just be happy that the last season is actually coming out as a standalone set. It's not out of Mill Creek's character to save that for the complete series set, forcing you to rebuy everything leading up to it just to finish the show out.

With the prices these things seem to typically have gone for and the frequent cases of horrible packaging jobs with complete sets, I'm happy.

Bet I'm averaging $10 a set for these Mill Creek Highway to Heaven releases, possibly might end up saving a buck or two over the complete release, and probably have superior cases.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
i went over to amazon - mill creek already has seasons 1-4 out.

Season 1 has been the only season so far that has been uncut, and complete. Blu-Ray for this show will probably never happen in my opinion.
jimmyjet said:
if i know ahead of time, i wont buy an edited show.

i would probably wait for a better pq release, but would at least contemplate on making the purchase.

much would depend on how much i liked the show.

with hth, i am waiting - cuz i like it a lot.

with a show that was only so-so, i would probably buy with only a so-so pq, but not buy again if they came out with a better pq.
picture quality on seasons 2-4 have been great. No worries, very watchable. If you wait for an uncut complete series, with better picture quality, I think you will be waiting your entire life.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi bryan,

thanks for the info. i am gonna wait - i dont want edited versions of this show.

in fact, i just dont accept editing at all.

if i cant get a complete unedited series, then i will simply pass on it

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Was "Highway to Heaven" edited on film or videotape?

If it was edited on videotape, then most likely it would take an extensive restoration to bring it up to HD standards, like what was done for Star Trek: The Next Generation. (Even if the orginal footage was shot on film).

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Bryan^H said:
picture quality on seasons 2-4 have been great. No worries, very watchable. If you wait for an uncut complete series, with better picture quality, I think you will be waiting your entire life.
Are the episodes on season 4 cut or uncut?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TV_Fan said:
Are the episodes on season 4 cut or uncut?
I don't know what to tell you because I don't know the original run times. The 6 or so episodes I watched clocked in at over 48 minutes each, so by 1987 standards that seems an accurate network run time. If they are cut, I'd be surprised.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
if i cant get a complete unedited series, then i will simply pass on it
More power to ya. I hate edits in any form of tv on dvd. However, I cave and buy nearly every title I used to like to watch on tv so long ago whether it be complete, and uncut, or heavily edited(CBS/Paramount)
The only show on dvd I called it quits on was ALF which was cut so bad I got angry and gave up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks