What's new

Highlights of Worldwide Developer Conference 2008 Keynote 6/9/08 (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I know it's "only" $10 more a month, but that's disappointing to hear. I guess it's not really a deal breaker, but $60 a month for phone and unlimited data sounds much more attractive than $70. I guess I shouldn't be to surprised though, as they need to cover the costs of selling the iPhone for much less money somehow.

Apple Insider is reporting that the new iPhones will be in-store activated (like any other cell phone), which probably explains why you can't order or pre-order one through Apple's online store. Boo!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It's true - another effect of the iPhone now being subsidized. They're not going to let you out of the store with a subsidized phone with no contract that you can turn around and unlock.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Yep, after reading around it's bait & switch of old - What price drop. The iPhone 2.0 cost $200 less up front and you pay $10 extra a month for data, for 24 months, That's $240 more, or 40 more in 24.

Hanging out in a B&M just adds to the stink.

Think Unfriendly

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
For all the people that felt the iPhone didn't meet expectations, your expectations are too high. It's a danger of reading every blog and rumor site. There's no way Apple can meet everyone's expectations. It's one reason why their stock was down well over $9 at one point during the keynote. I'll gladly pony up for the new phone as well as the $30/ month data charges. I despise AT&T's Edge network. It's so slow as to be nearly useless for typical web browsing. I'd pay $40/month for the speeds I get on my Sprint Treo (and which I expect to get on AT&T's 3G network if their current 3G data cards are any indication.)

The new phone goes on sale the night before I have a 6am flight to start my vacation. Won't have a lot of time to play with it that night, but I will be getting it on launch day and I will be bringing it on vacation.

To the people that feel the Mac is being neglected at WWDC, welcome to the club. I've felt the Mac has been getting the short end of the stick for years. Prior to the iPhone announcement in '07, I'd referred to the last two Macworlds that I'd attended as iPodworld...everything seemed to revolve around the iPod. Everything now seems to be gravitating to the iPhone.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I have to disagree on this. Having a true small keyboard like the LG Voyager makes it easier to surf the Internet and do replies to email. That's why I still expect it to happen by this time next year.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

What if you bought a 1st Gen iPhone on day one and want to upgrade? Does the remaining ~1 year of my contract get extended by 2 years and the old phone simply get replaced with the new one?

- Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
looks like a new 2 year contract over-rides current contract.
so 2 years not 3 years if you started at the beginning last year.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
So, in theory, I will get a new two year contract, and the old contract stops without penalty. That would work...

- Steve

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Works for AT&T too. For every old contract they kill and replace with a new one, that's one less phone that they are paying revenue sharing costs on.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ron, yes you can if all you care about is data files. If you want to watch BluRay movies on your mac tho you are out of luck until HDCP is supported at the OS level. Since this is a huge competitor to the Fairplay DRM and the idea of digital downloads, there doesnt seem to be a lot of support for it at Apple.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Exactly, as well as getting the extra $10/month for the new data plan. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T offered a trade-up rebate of $50-$100 - they'd still be coming out ahead financially (my speculation only).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I would say slim to none. Remember, the iPhone is GSM so that it can be sold internationally. It's incompatible with Verizon's (& Sprint's) CDMA network.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
But you're not listening to His Steveness. He spent a good portion of last year's iPhone announcement ragging on those tiny keyboards, and he disparaged them again today. Plus it would be seen as a "me too" product, and Apple (for better or worse) doesn't do those.

Ain't gonna happen - but if it does (within a year as you predict), I will buy the whole thread a virtual beer! :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, after sleeping on this announcement, I am just
highly disappointed that we didn't get a more advanced phone
this time out.

I agree with Michael that the EDGE network is painfully slow.
It's the worst feature on the iPhone to date. It's a shame that
the only reason I am now willing to buy another is for the 3G
capability otherwise I wouldn't give this phone a second look.

I can only speculate that APPLE continues to be....APPLE. They
tend to release innovative products, holding back on giving you
the kitchen sink, and then a year later they add on features that
should have been in the original release. I just get this sinking
feeling that they want to sell as many of these 3G phones as
possible before releasing a phone with the obvious missing features
so that people will continue to upgrade.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I would think with the SDK that you could write a script using xcode that would use the ichat.app and run this on the phone. That should give you the ability to do video conferencing but the camera is on the back of the unit and I don't know it can be set up like the camera on the iMac or if it can only do still shots.

I see this as version one of the new phone software to address the business requests and then later on with version two or three they have an update to the software to address the suggestions sent in by regular users.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks