What's new

Highlights of Worldwide Developer Conference 2008 Keynote 6/9/08 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
With thanks to MacRumors.com and Engadget.com

New features in the iPhone 2.0 software: First, contact search with live searching. Second, full iWork document support. Third, complete support for Office documents (Word, Excel, and now PowerPoint). Fourth, bulk delete & move for messages. Fifth, the ability to save images you get. Sixth, a new calculator with scientific mode when you rotate the iPhone. Seventh, parental controls. Eight, tremendous language support.

Enterprise app distribution: Enterprises authorize iPhones, and then create and distribute apps on their intranet that can only run on those phones. Users sync their custom apps through iTunes. Yes, iTunes is apparently the new enterprise tool.

MobileMe stores your info so you can get to it anywhere using any of your devices -- Mac, PC, iPhone -- it will push information up and down to keep everything up to date all the time." Push email, contacts, and calendars... everything is up to date wherever you are. Photos are synched over the air too. Includes incredible Web 2.0 applications to provide a desktop-like experience on the web to work with all of the data. Me.com. It's available for $99 per year -- 20GB of storage. A 60-day free trial will be available along with the iPhone 2.0 software in early July. MobileMe replaces .mac. and .mac subscribers will automatically be upgraded.

iPhone 3G: Black back. Thinner at the edges. Full plastic back. Solid metal buttons, the same gorgeous 3.5-inch display, camera. Flush headphone jack. Dramatically improved audio. 3G = faster data downloads, perfect for Safari and Mail. Comparing download speeds between 3G and EDGE. 3G finished in 21 seconds. EDGE finished in 59 seconds. iPhone 3G is 36% faster than the nokia N95 and Treo 750. Great battery life -- standby time is 300 hours. GPS support now integrated into the iPhone. With GPS, the iPhone can do tracking. The iPhone will be rolling it out in 70 countries in the next several months. $199 8GB. $299 for the 16GB -- a white version of this size will be available too. The iPhone 3G will be available July 11th in 22 countries.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm shocked.

First, phone does not go on sale until July 11th. Second, no
mention of the highly rumored video chat feature.

I am little disappointed by the new iPhone but very excited
about MobileMe.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The new phone looks good to me. I think the video chat rumors had been debunked in the last couple of weeks. Price is right, but... I was really expecting a 32GB model. All those new apps are going to eat up memory.

You're going to hear a lot of whining over the plastic back, especially if it turns out to be scratch-prone.

I was not really expecting availability today, but July 11 is much later than I expected. I think they're trying to build up stock, so everybody who wants one in the initial rush can get one (just like last year).

The current 1st gen iPhone shortage will officially end on July 12, when millions of iPhones go up on eBay... :)

As a .mac user, MobileMe looks great. Nice that they've doubled the space less than a year after raising it to 10GB. But, I think they should have cut the price in half. I think a LOT more people would jump on this for $49 a year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
More information can be found on the reopened Apple
Store HERE

Was hoping that the phone could be preordered in advance for
July 11th delivery. Apple usually does this. There is no preorder
button on the store site. I am on hold with Customer Support to find
out if this phone can be preordered. I am sort of doubtful that it can
due to the fact that it is also being sold by AT&T.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Interesting - No way to order one on line right now.
Order online takes me to a previous page with AT&T, Apple Store (B&M) location finder - not to a store order page. Hmm, anyone getting through?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
No I think everyone know this was strictly about Iphone development and the new hardware. I'm dissapointed in that 8gb for the entry is too little considering they want to sell you all those bright and shiney new apps. 16gb should be the minimum at $199 and 32gb at $299 and they would've kicked ass. As it is you know the 8gb will be phased out very quickly and the 16gb will be at it's pricepoint. So I won't be buying and I would of had it been a 16gb phone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just got off the phone with Apple.

Looks like, at this point, it cannot be preordered, though
the operator said they have limited information.

It would make sense that you can't preorder this as it would
take business away from AT&T.

Looks like I will be standing in line on July 11th.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Half the price, better battery life, 3G, GPS, third-party apps, and corporate support and you're disappointed? What were you expecting, a holographic display? :)

July 11 is right in with the rumors: announced in June, but not for sale until July due to FCC testing reqts

While I was hoping to see a 32GB version, this seems like a huge upgrade. Of course, the price cut is (more than) compensated by the subscription to Mobile Me. Sneaky Apple...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Don't do it (unless you just enjoy the line experience). Last year I went over to the AT&T store after I got off work a couple hours after they went on sale. No one there, walked in, picked up a phone, walked out. Most places had plenty. Again, I think this is why the delay until July 11 - they're building up stock.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree with you. Before Christmas we'll see a 32 GB iPhone added to the lineup, and at least a $50 price drop. I'm holding off on the upgrade untill I can get 32GB.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Yeah, it was sort of fun last year. Will do it if friends are
interested.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
One other tidbit- the iPhone will no longer come with a dock. I actually expected this. Just as with the iPod, as the prices go down, they reduce the number of included accessories, and the dock is the first to go.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Now that Apple has essentially made the iPhone truly equivalent in capability with the other 3G cellphones out there, I see two major changes coming for the third-generation model by this time in 2009:

1) A small separate keyboard in either fold-out or slide-out fashion, similar to the latest LG and Samsung phones used by Verizon.

2) An increase in flash memory storage to as high as 64 GB, thanks to next-generation higher-density flash memory chips that will be available later this year.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
One rudimentary phone item is still missing voice command capability, my 3 year old motorola v3 razor can do it, why can't the Iphone?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

You are right! Forgot about that. Still no voice dialing.

I do think that with the SDK capability that it will not be long
until there is a third party application that will enable voice
dialing. There was such an application for current jailbroken
phones buy it supposedly did not work well.

Really, this iPhone came up VERY short on expectations.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Really? This iPhone update was about what I expected... would have been cool to see things like video chat but I definitely wasn't expecting that. I wasn't expecting a big price drop either so that was nice! My intention right now is to pick up the 16 gig model for $299. I hope they're put up for pre-order from Apple's store, but if not, I guess I'll just hit up the local AT&T store on July 11th (or 12th, as I do have family in town that day!)

Friend of might did bring up a good point... any mention of MMS support? I know it's kind of outdated, and personally I have never felt the need for it, but I guess it's pretty popular with a lot of people, and nearly every phone supports it, so why not include it?

Consider me a happy Apple fan today :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
The prices quoted require a contract according to Apple's web site. There is no information about how an existing iPhone user would go about upgrading to the new hardware. Hopefully, it will simply extend your contract.

I guess I am in the minority but the 8GB and 16GB capacities seem fine to me. I doubt these apps are going to be particularly large with the possible exception of games. That being said I am a little surprised a 32GB model wasn't announced. People have wanted that even before applications came along.

-Keith

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
1) Disagree. This would violate Steve's design aesthetic for the iPhone. I think you will see small Bluetooth keyboards from third parties designed to work with the iPhone - maybe even in combination with a case.

2) Absolutely. You're going to see that number double at least once a year. Can't wait for the Terabyte iPhone in 2012-2013!!! :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree with Brian - it's a really nice upgrade in general. But Ron is right in that the continued lack of voice dialing is a BIG issue. It FORCES you to pick up the phone and look at it to dial a number. Not good for hands-free situations (car). This is probably my biggest disappointment, and will be a continuing source of criticism for the iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread