What's new

High paying careers? (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I do Tech support at IBM. Ive been thinking about gigalo or male stripper, as I hate my job,dont make alot of money and dont really want to go back to school.

My g/f said no at first, but then said to do whatever makes me happy :)

I went to school for art/comic book illustration only to realize I wanted nothing to do with the industry. Been doing Tech Support for years and now at 33, I realize I hate computers and dont want to do it anymore.

Find something you like to do,AND can make a decent living from.
Its true that theres nothing worse than going to a job u hate, but at least ur bills will be paid and u wont have to worry about $$ if u take a job because of the high pay.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
This comment is kind of along the same lines as "do something you love to do," but maybe gives you one practical way of determining that.

Go find some people who are doing something that you might consider (patent law, pharmacist, business owner, etc) and find out what their lifestyle is like. How many hours do they work? How rigid is their schedule? Do they have time to do the "fun" things they like? Do they feel like they have enough money? Try to find someone who has the kind of lifestyle you would like to have.

Matt

LewB

Screenwriter
They recently hired a patent attorney with a BS,MS, and PhD in Electrical Engineering and his starting pay was just over 500k per year.
A bag of shells Norton, a bag of shells !

Aim high, I'd go for CEO. Stock Options are what you want, the company doesn't have to explain them on the balance sheet and the executive compensation consultants and comittees are usually your pals so the sky is the limit ! Added perk, you get to f*&k up the lives of thousands of your employees !

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
hehe running a large coperation is a dream of mine, but alas i fear it will stay that way, i have no idea how i could possibly land a job like that.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
What are some high paying careers?
Any careers that members of my family decide not to go into. :frowning:

Okay, the serious answer. A high-paying career is generally one that involves the following:

(a) high barriers to entry (i.e. you've got to be rich and/or ridiculously highly-qualified to get into it)

(b) high level of skill

(c) high level of risk

(d) high level of independence and responsibility.

(e) more job vacancies than there are suitable applicants.

Trouble is that over time, what is skilled and rare alters. One of the general bets is that if there is a widely-publicised shortage of people in a particular job, chances are that if you train for it, you'll suddenly find that the shortage no longer exists, because a whole load of other people had exactly the same idea.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Nobody said people who make this kind of money deserved it. NBA players, anyone?

And if you went the "road less traveled," you wouldn't have to give your he-pimp a cut of your hard earned share if YOU were the he-pimp.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. Anyone who gets such an impressive array of degrees deserves it in my book :emoji_thumbsup:.

--
Holadem

NicholasL

Second Unit
I think parents and school teachers have the hardest jobs in the world, and they should get paid $500K in my book.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Anyone that is willing to bust their butt getting multiple degrees, go to a top tier law school, pass the bar, and work 12 hour days continually deserves that money.

I think this also applies to most careers. Put in the time, effort and schooling and your pay should reflect it.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I think parents and school teachers have the hardest jobs in the world, and they should get paid $500K in my book.
Let's stay on topic here, as this is an entirely different thread.

As far as starting out with only a Bachelor's degree, engineering will probably nab you one of the higher salaries. Pharmacists get paid well, but they also have to attend school for 6 years. Of course generally speaking (unless you get into socila sciences), the more schooling you have the better pay.

J

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Here's a little twist. Of the higher paying jobs, which are the easiest?

i.e. A lawyer gets paid a lot of money, but look at all the work and stress you have to deal with. Same with Doctors, look at all the school you gotta go through.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I work for a very large pharmacy and from what I've heard, the pharmacists have a VERY cush job. They get paid top dollar, is unionized, work M-F daytime hours, and rarely have to deal with customers personally. They've all been around for years cause it's such a great job nobody wants to leave. It sure beats working graveyard at Walgreens and dealing with the parents of a sick child at 2am.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I think parents and school teachers have the hardest jobs in the world, and they should get paid $500K in my book.

Then I'll go adopt a kid right now. But where's the money going to come from?

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Engineers USUALLY make pretty good money. That being said, I have been laid-off not once, but TWICE since graduating in 99 with my industrial engineering degree. Still looking acutally...

Another thing to think about is this. All those super high paying jobs people have, some of them get burnt out REAL quick. Case in point, Lawyers and stockbrocker/financial types. But when they get out early, they usually have plenty of money to keep them busy.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Since man-whore and druglord have already been mentioned, I thought I'd throw out Military Dictator. It pays well, plus you get the respect (if not adulation) of your subjects. Also, can someone say "missles"?...

I'm going the route of Rock Star, myself. That also pays ridiculously well, but I'm sure I'll blow most of it on the required drug habit.

This stuff is so much easier when you think of it like The Sims :)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
What about being an Embalmer? Or something that deals with dead bodies? I heard they make good money but I don't know any so it is just rumor for me. You go to school for about 2 years and 2 years of apprenticeship and bam, you can work in the morgue.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
If a firemans career can go up in smoke, and a plumbers career can go down the drain...Can a hooker get laid off?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks