High Definition cd?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Mil, Jul 31, 2006.

1. John Mil

John Mil Agent

I am looking to buy a new cd player and was looking at the Denon DCM390 cd player on line, and noticed it said that it has High Definition CD decoding. Is HDCD the same as SACD ? If not, does anyone know the difference? Thanks in advance!

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

From Wikipedia
    So its argueably a half-step towards SACD, except you can play it on any CD player, even non-HDCD models.

3. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    The search utility is your friend.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=149127

It's not even arguably a "half-step towards SACD." HDCD is essentially a way of getting 20-bit performance out the 16-bit CD standard. DSD-based SACD is a higher resolution horse of a very different color.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Like I said, better than regular CD, not as good as SACD. Not the full step-up but a half-step.

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    PCM versus DSD is chalk versus cheese.

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Except the chalk has more resolution past 12kHz than the cheese does, meaning more detail - or harshness to some - is revealed.......and the chalk doesn't have a built-in system to prevent unpleasant overcompression of the signal......and the chalk usually doesn't receive nearly as much care during the recording & mastering process as the cheese receives......and.......

Oh well, both formats are sinking slowly as MP3s take over, so this is mostly just an academic exercise now. [​IMG]

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Pretty much every Panasonic dvd player includes an HDCD decoder now.* And even most of their HTiBs.

I thought the following was interesting (from page 4 of the manual for the DVD-S52K) and reminded me of a discussion on another forum where more knowledgable members said not every HDCD-equipped machine included every feature of the HDCD format:

I wonder why all players don't include all the features? For this particular player, could it be that in this price range it doesn't have the analog circuitry that can handle very wide dynamic range, so the engineers disabled that function? Or is it simply because Microsoft now owns the HDCD format? [​IMG]

* except the little $60 model - while the chart lists HDCD, the manual says nothing about it.