What's new

High Def. Sat Tivo?? (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Anyone around here getting one?? Was curious if anyone had the DirecTv unit in there home yet?? I here it's very close to shipping....

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't think anyone has it yet, Steve. Some of the folks who are expecting it posted their predictions on timing here.

M.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are a few out at the retailers. There's a long thread over at the Tivo Community where a member went to Value Electonics yesterday for a demo and pictures. I was planning on purchasing one in the fall before football season but after seeing the pictures, it will be difficult to hold out that long.

-Robert

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also thinking of getting one, can anyone post details about a specific Direct TV unit that I can go and check out.

Thanks, Peter

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I have been monitoring the forums for the unit, first here, then onto avsforum, then tivocommunity.com

I may jump in later this year. I don't know if the price will come down, I expect it won't, its still a little steep for me and I couldn't be sitting in a better position for adopting this box: I already have a 65" Mits HD ready tv, and I am about 10 extremely flat miles from the broadcast towers so my OTA reception should be great.

I could easily get HD locals now, but I dont want to give up my DirecTivo for that programming.

anyway, I am on the fence. need more programming, or less cost or something...I dunno.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

That's impossible. It has to come down, for satellite to compete with cable companies who are rolling out HD-DVR capabilities at ~$10/month additional, without having to pay anything up front. Also, there's no electronic device in history whose price hasn't eventually dropped.

The only question is when and how fast the price will drop. It's going to stay up at least 6 months I think, because right now there is relatively large pent up demand for a short supply. They try to make more money from people who just have to have it right away. Plus the competition from the cable companies won't heat up in most areas for about that time, since they are only rolling out DVRs in limited parts of the country.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if i get this right, these doohickeys have two (or more) antenna inputs...one specifically for local ota hi-def broadcasts?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
It has a single OTA antenna input, split internally to two tuners, receiving/recording digital broadcasts only, SD/ED/HD.

Plus two inputs for the satellite tuners; one RG-6 line must be run from a multiswitch to each of these.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx stephen -

so in my existing living room, i currently have a dual-tuner tivo setup.

i guess in this hd setup, i would still have both lines (off the sat) into the receiver ... *plus* a third stand-alone antenna going into the ota input?

i guess i just want to make sure i don't have to run any more dang wires....

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can diplex your OTA signal onto one of your satellite lines if you don't want to run another cable.

-Robert

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sorry robert...not sure what you mean by diplex?

i already have two lines coming off my dish, through my wall, into the back of my directv.

if i add an antenna, then i can just run that third wire into the hi-def ota antenna input? if so, i'm okay with that, since it's all "inside the house". i just don't want to run any more wires off my dish, through my wall, into my house.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is a diplexer. Link

Look at the first diagram here to see how they are installed.

You can do this. The diplexer would be used if you needed to upgrade to an outside antenna.

-Robert

Alex-C

Screenwriter
STephen Tu...I hope you are right. I was thinking of trying to get it all in place by the time the NFL starts. that was my pseudo-deadline, and I was thinking the price won't come down by then, but maybe I am wrong.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
No, I agree, the price won't come down by the time the NFL starts this year; my hope is price drop by the playoffs, or at least a cable alternative. But when you said in your first post that you didn't expect the price to come down, you didn't qualify that statement with any date. It's clearly wrong to expect that the price will never come down.

Realistically I wouldn't hope for price cuts until November or maybe even next year. I think the cable rollout has to be wider before D* has incentive to drop prices to compete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks