Hiding speaker wires on wall

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jim Mcc, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I need to hide the 2 surround speaker wires that run vertically about 5.5' from baseboard to each surround speaker. I know about the Wiremold products, but is there anything else ? I plan to paint it to blend in with the wall. I read about one guy who taped the wire to wall with masking tape, then painted over it. Does this seem like a good idea? Would the tape even adhere to a sand finish painted surface? Or would the paint hold the masking tape up? Thanks.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-43028-Taperwire-Speaker/dp/B0002JUHR0/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360194274&sr=1-5&keywords=flat+adhesive+speaker+wire http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-AWG-Adhesive-Speaker-Wire/dp/B005SUM1PO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360194274&sr=1-2&keywords=flat+adhesive+speaker+wire http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Research-PR390-800-Watt-Microflat/dp/B005FFUSX4/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360194274&sr=1-13&keywords=flat+adhesive+speaker+wire

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Thanks Sam, but I'm not interested in re-doing the wiring. What about the masking tape idea, and then painting it? Does anyone think it makes sense?

4. Bobofbone

Bobofbone Stunt Coordinator

Bob
    Depends on how you want it to look. Masking tape might have a rendency to dry out and come loose, and paining over it may hasten the process. That's just a guess-I never tried it. If I was going to do things that way, I'd probably use duct tape, but that's just me. Actually, if you had enough duct tape, you could use it to cover the entire wall. That way, you'd have a hard time seeing the wires, It even comes in different colors besides silver. Bring your dates there. Might get interesting.Not sure I'd go that route though.

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The only "tape" I know of that can be painted is "wall repair" tape. There are numerous versions.

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Thanks guys. I may just use the Wiremold stuff after all. It's just so overkill for 1 speaker wire. It's 1.25" wide.

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Why can't you use 1 run of flat adhesive wire? I "know" the wire is "done"...but you got to take it out to put the wire mold in. Also, if you read the description of one of those flatwires...it comes with connectors to add the flat wire into existing normal round. You only use the adhesive flat where you need it. Not the entire run from the AVR.