What's new

Hi-power Plate amplifier - give your input (1 Viewer)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Jim,

If you were using a pair of AV15's, then this amp may not be the best option. Then again, like you said, you could deliver 500W to each woofer with wiring that way. If you plan to have seperate subs in opposite corners, then you'd probably want either seperate amplifiers, or a rack mount amp.

A pair of the AMP350's at $170 each would also be a good option.

John

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I talked to Doug Goldberg today regarding a smaller amplifier to start things off. Looks like I will be doing an amplifier that is 375-400W into 4ohm, and 750-800W into 2ohm. This will be somewhat of a simple amplifier, but will still have the basic features needed. Here's a quick rundown:

Lowpass 60Hz to 150Hz
Selectable highpass 5hz, 10hz, 15hz, 20hz, etc by resistors
No stock bass boost, but boost can be added by changing resistors.
0-180 variable phase
Xover bypass switch for LFE mode

Also, talked with John Levreault again today. We're shooting for release of the 2000W amp this summer. Prototypes should be available in May hopefully with production units a few months later.

John

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I'm hoping to have a sample of the 400W unit in the next few weeks. Then it just depends on how long the lead time will be to have them manufactured. I'm hoping to have production pieces by May if everythign goes smoothly.

FYI, i plan to have this amp retail for about $200

John

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Tom,

The smaller unit will not be 1ohm stable. Most people said they wanted something in the 500W range into 4ohm. This falls a little short of that at 400W, but in reality the difference between 400W and 500W is only 1dB. This is an amp that is already designed, and something I can move on fairly quickly. This amp won't have the current capacity to go down to 1ohm loads.

John

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I talked to Doug Goldberg today regarding a smaller amplifier to start things off. Looks like I will be doing an amplifier that is 375-400W into 4ohm, and 750-800W into 2ohm. This will be somewhat of a simple amplifier, but will still have the basic features needed. Here's a quick rundown:

Lowpass 60Hz to 150Hz
Selectable highpass 5hz, 10hz, 15hz, 20hz, etc by resistors
No stock bass boost, but boost can be added by changing resistors.
0-180 variable phase
Xover bypass switch for LFE mode

FYI, i plan to have this amp retail for about $200
That sounds perfect to me for my next project - a 10" SV10 sealed system to go under my equipment cabinet. It would work really well for a DVC 15" vented system my cousin and I are designing right now, too. I'm especially glad you're going with the continuously variable phase knob - most receivers/pre-pros don't have a bass delay setting, and this makes a huge improvement in flexibility when blending bass and satellites. Please publish a table of resistor values like PE for boost and rumble filtering.

Great news! Thanks!

Peter

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
What I would like:

500W would be enough for me.
Defeatable and adjustable rumble filter.
Fanless.
Adjustable lowpass, 60-100Hz OK, 40-120Hz better.
No bass boost, or switch defeatable.
Consideration for an external circuit, like loop in/outs and +/- 12V supply, with these circuits accessible from inside the woofer box. This would allow an LT circuit to be built into the box. It would also allow the LT to come after the hi-pass filter. Also, this could be done by making a blank LT circuit card (no caps or resistors) available that slips into an "expansion slot". You could provide different cards for common drivers in specific box volumes.
Small. Less than 8"x8"x4". There are very few plate amps available that fit onto a small box.
If there is a hi-pass, switchable from 2nd to 4th order.

I think built-in LT is too unrealistic. Too many variables: woofer, box size, F3 and Q.

Martice

Screenwriter
Is the AV15 a DVC driver? I have an amp that is rated at 275 per side at 4ohms and it can be bridged into 550 ohms but only at 8 ohms. My thinking is if the AV15 is a DVC, could I run my left and right amp channels which are currently rated at 275 watts per channel@ 4ohms into the the AV15 via a biamp terminal cup and get the same result as if I had a mono power signal rated at 550 watts?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Martice,

Yes, the AV15 is a DVC driver, but it is 2ohm per coil. It can be wired in series for 4ohm, but that probably won't help you out too much if the amp is only stable to 4ohm per channel.

John

A

Anthony_Gomez

a 2ohm stable amp becomes the most benificial to people who want to run dual 4ohm drivers. the only way around it before is to run 2 separate amps (=$$) or series to 8ohms (=waste of power)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd recommend for slightly more to make a rack mount or casing for the amp where the controls on front of the casing (beats the heck out of reaching behind a sub) as this would have a pretty good esthetics, functional (plus a clip indicator that can actually be seen), and also maybe another market of revenue (I know I'd pay at least $50-100 more for one that fits my shelf since my subs are sonotubes and I don't want to go thru the process of building a box and standing it vertically or trying to fit it on my current subs). I'd also like the x-over points to actually be lower (60-150? What is this being matched up to Bose? How about 30-100 instead to blend with towers in a two channel system?) to allow the sub to integrate with a greater amount of quality speakers. A steep filter would be nice as well (4th order, I'm not much of a fan of the 2nd order filter for subs).

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I think this (what is already planned) sounds good as I am contemplating a Shiva project down the line. I just want something that will put out a bit of clean power.

Martice

Screenwriter
I'd recommend for slightly more to make a rack mount or casing for the amp where the controls on front of the casing (beats the heck out of reaching behind a sub) as this would have a pretty good esthetics, functional (plus a clip indicator that can actually be seen),
I agree totally!! A rack mount version would be the ticket and that would also make it remote friendly if we could squeeze that feature in without the price sky rocketing. Why not offer in both formats (the rack version comes out first) that way regardless of your preference of amp style you can enjoy good power for your project?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks